im getting used to...


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
June 4th 2008
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

long and tedious showers with a few drops of water, eating chocolate cake for breakfast and remaing a lady while dismounting from a motobike...

ive done three days at the tv station now. the trip there takes about 25 mins on the motobike, didik drives. i love going through the small villages. the scenery, people going about their lives and just the fact that every building is different, nothing matches, it all just looks as though its been dumped and the juxtaposition of US ads and quiet asian traiditon is just cool. its so odd here everyone talks about "white beatuy" and its advertised everywhere - rich people get michael jackson like injections of lighter pigmentations while all of us in the west die to be brown. ive been going out for dinner a lot - with jeje, wawa, tusty they're all fun and take me to some amazing places, last night we ate on a boat on a river and apart from worrying about getting dengi it was so awesome.
anyways jogya tv is alright! sort of boring in the afternoons but in the morning we go out to districs and get stories - interveiwng people. yesterday we arrived at this outside meeting place where i was faced with about 500 muslim teachers just gawking. and they did not stop. the contrast was phenonemal. i was wearing SHORTs and a bright red shirt - they wore white and black uniforms covering their whole bodies, PLUS they were talking about the negative effects of westernisation. just when i was wondering if it could get any more awkward the district leader came over to meet me mid speech and began speaking indo/ arrgh and everyone was staring at me and waiting for a response. i nearly died. i managed to stumble something out before the leader who looked like and probably was an army general and called the journalists 'evil divorce lovers', refusing to speak to them! so i was pretty chuffed that he spoke to me.
everyone is now trying to teach me javanese on top of indo - so if i ask for a word in bahasa they'll repeat it in javanese just to add to my ever increasing confusion. i wrote a piece on this poverty sticken little town called solotown and it was on tv yesterday! only i cant watch it because i dont have a tv in my kos😞
everyone at the tv station is lovely- they help me with indo and like to practise english with me, my faaavourite is this beautiful girl called lisa who i help translate scripts into english for. shes so smart - finished school in yr 8 and picked up english by reading a few books, its her 5th langauge and shes fluent.
i think i have a girl crush on her. she desperately wants to come to australia but would never afford it. everyone is just so bright and shiny here, to quote greys. people sing loudly in the street (haha the boys sing in really high pitched girly voices) and ive never smiled so much in my life. theres all these signs of the president saying "LIFE IS STRUGGLE" everywhere i turn and even though most people are struggling in poverty everyone is so happy.
everyone askes if im related to darren hayes from savage garden haha.

ive started meditating in the mornings cos im so new age. and also cos i always wake up really early from the muslim prayers right next door and its SO LOUD.
jeje is cooking fish for like 100 people tonight, everyone who lives around my little street. so im going to have dinner, should be fun!

keep telling me news!
xx

Advertisement



4th June 2008

Im in love.
Tell lisa i say hey and that we should get married some time. :) Loving your stories a-lice. xx.
5th June 2008

Haha! Alice you're so funny. I dont think you needed to include you have a girl crush...each to their own. Hope your having a great time! speak soon xox
5th June 2008

hellooo!!
hey al! wow your emails are so amazingly descriptive i love them, i hate reading emails like.. oh we went here and did this. your work at the tv station sounds freaking awesome! i can't believe you are actually writing things that are on tv, were you on tv or did someone read it out? you have to get copies of everything you do.. what an amazing experience... im soo excited about my travels! although going to kenya and ghana is freaking me out just a little bit. i sure hope i have enough money or i will kill someone. i havent done ANY study i am such a terrible student... starting to get a bit scared as i have exams in 6 days.. nothing much has been going on here, oh i have a trial at merricks tomorrow! hehe its like class of 2007 woodleigh at that place. well the cool chicks anyways... i cant believe erin and sarah got tatoos!! i didnt believe them at first but no.. sarahs is massive! she is one daring lady. well al i am so happy to know you're having a great time and LOVE reading your emails.. keep having a great time and enjoying living in another world.. so jealous. love you xx
10th June 2008

Your a hot bitch
Hey sexxy. I'll be honest, indo sounds really crap and boring and you should just come home to your really awesome, exciting best friend who is lonely and sad without you. I say, you've tried it, had an experience, spent a few dollars, now pack your things and come the eff home! well..yeah.. except really it sounds amazing and very cool and I am so totally jealous. Your my sexy-friend and i miss you..;) I never knew blogs were so fun. I love you sexybestie.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb