Solo (27-28 May 12)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Solo
May 28th 2012
Published: May 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Short 1h train ride from Jogja's Tugu station to Solobapan in Solo, the so-called twin city to its more illustrious sibling. Solo was definitely smaller in scale, but still had its fair share of cultural and natural attractions. Stayed at the cheapest place yet, Mama's Homestay at Jalan Cakra at IDR60k, but completely basic -- no AC, hot water, attached bath or wifi!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Museum Batik Danar HadiMuseum Batik Danar Hadi
Museum Batik Danar Hadi

Interesting collection of 10,000 batik pieces within a beautiful house and compound
View on the way up Mt LawuView on the way up Mt Lawu
View on the way up Mt Lawu

It was a long 1.5h ojek (pillion on motorcycle taxi) ride from Solo up the steep Mt Lawu to get to the Sukuh and Cetho temples. Weaving in and out of the heavy Solo traffic, and meandering around blind corners on the slopes, the ride was not for the faint-hearted. Kids, don't tell your parents, they will get a heart attack!
Candi SukuhCandi Sukuh
Candi Sukuh

The whole point of the mad commute -- pretty 15th century Mayan-like temple 1500m above sea-level! Photo taken by a Russian couple who had driven to Solo from Denpasar in Bali! I remarked that was a long way to drive, and the man said, "Yes, especially with my first time experiencing right-hand drive" Yikes!
Candi SukuhCandi Sukuh
Candi Sukuh

Apparently "sukuh" means erotic and you can see why. The temple was adorned with multiple yoni-lingga (vagina-phallus) reliefs and statues.
Candi CethoCandi Cetho
Candi Cetho

Even prettier than Sukuh.


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb