Wonosobo (28-31 May 12)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Wonosobo
May 29th 2012
Published: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After my trials with the local inter-city bus services, I decided to try instead a door-to-door minivan service that was supposed to pick me up from my hotel in Solo and drop me off at my next destination in Wonosobo. Travel agency said "about five hours", but the total journey time was more like seven hours! Two hour ride back to Jogja with multiple stops, followed by an hour's wait before setting off for Wonosobo, a town at about 1000m altitude with correspondingly agreeable weather. Arrived at Wisma Duta's Homestay, a lovely place with a cozy reception. The luxury rooms looked extremely inviting, but at IDR300k a night, they were out of my budget. I settled for the economy room at the rear at IDR100k a night, attached bath but no AC or fan or hot water. However, the old rear annex was still close enough to the reception for me to have "one-bar" in-room wifi! Score!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Menjer LakeMenjer Lake
Menjer Lake

About 12km north of Wonosobo, this was a 20 min angkot/ bemo ride to Garung, followed by a 10 min ojek ride (sans helmet!) up the slopes. The photo really doesn't do justice to how picturesque this high altitude lake was, surrounded by terraced tobacco plantations, and cloud-covered peaks.
Menjer LakeMenjer Lake
Menjer Lake

Walked along the trail that you can see on the right of the photo.
Ride from Wonosobo to Dieng PlateauRide from Wonosobo to Dieng Plateau
Ride from Wonosobo to Dieng Plateau

Terraced tobacco plantations against rolling green hills enveloped by wispy clouds
Candi ArjunaCandi Arjuna
Candi Arjuna

Dating back to the 8th century (c. 780), believed to be the oldest temples in Central Java. Simply beautiful against the already awe-inspiring scenery of the plateau, at 2000m+ altitude.
Mini AdventureMini Adventure
Mini Adventure

Ever wondered what happens when an enormous trailer breaks down on a narrow, winding mountain road? Of course when it's dark, cold, rainy and misty too?
Mini AdventureMini Adventure
Mini Adventure

Well, traffic gets backed up for miles! It was a mini-adventure for me getting back to Wonosobo -- one ojek ride, some walking, one minibus and another angkot ride later, I'm finally back in three hours, for what should have been just a one ride.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb