Blinked and we missed it .....


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
January 30th 2017
Published: February 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

.... the Equator! Singapore is 1deg North and Jogyakata is 7deg south!

You will be pleased to know my bag weighed in at 19.5kg. Phew. And I could fit into my long trousers comfortably .... and finally we have a nice hotel in Jogyakarta complete with swimming pool, so all good here.

Now for some amusing facts. Singapore has a limited number of cars on its roads, which means that traffic jams are kept to a minimum. This is maintained by a 10 year permit being applied for, accompanied by a wad of money, to put a car on the road. And the number of permits issued each month equals the number or cars taken off the road in that month, so the quantity of cars is kept the same. Added to which there is a 100% tax on all new cars.

And for signs spotted. Many of these are phonetic, so as Roy Walker would say on Catchphrase 'say what you see':

Teksi

Farmasi

Polis

Stesen

Kompleks

Enjin

Eksekutif

Ekspres

Motosikal

We did some exploring in Java and went to the Burabudura Temple which is the biggest Buddhist temple in the world, and took a Jeep to see Mount Merapi, an active volcano which last erupted in 2010. We were lucky in that the clouds lifted so we got a good view, others only saw it shrouded in clouds. We also saw the small museum which had a number of artefacts that showed the effects of the intense heat from the eruption. Then the heavens opened and we experienced a real tropical rainstorm.

Sorry no photos this time but the internet connection is poor so I am not able to upload them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb