Fun in Jakarta


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
November 2nd 2013
Published: November 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

so this is our last day of travelling. After much discussion we have decided to get a cab into the centre and find the what seems to be the only famous landmark in the city, which is strange for a vast capital. Taxis can take as much as 20 minutes to move a few hundred yards in Jakarta as the traffic is so bad. Currently there is no mass transit system so most people either walk or drive. Fortunately the cabs are trip and 1 hour trip cost sat little at £4.00. The cabs generally start on this back home.

We got to the monument which is in the centre of Jakarta's main park. It's certainly a lot bigger than we expected and towers over most other structures nearby. The National Monument other wise known as Monas is a 433ft tower in the centre of Merdeka Square, symbolising the fight for Indonesia. It is the national monument of the Republic of Indonesia built to commemorate the Struggle for Indonesian independence.

Construction began in 1961 under the direction of President Sukarno. Monas was opened to the public in 1975. It is topped by a flame covered with gold foil.

Whilst walking around Louise saw some people riding motorised mini mopeds so we went off in pursuit of them. Eventually we found a man who hired them and paid for 10mins each. We had such a laugh and got some great pictures and video footage. It was really nice as we could relax in the park. There were many Indonesian families enjoying time there but everyone was much more friendly and smiley. One couple even asked for a picture standing next to us. After all that fun we got another taxi and went to a local shopping centre that sold traditional Indonesian clothing, replica football shirts etc. Louise ended up buying some make up and then we went to a Burger King for lunch. I have eaten so unhealthy this holiday but when the food is cheap is has to be taken advantage of. After exploring the shopping centre we went to a more westonised shopping outlet rooted in the heart of the financial district. This had everything from an M&S to BodyShop. The prices were the same if not more expensive than back home. We didn't spend long her as it's nothing new and we have more fun in the traditional places as there are so many novelty items. Once we'd finished shopping we went back to the hotel and paid for a final massage before packing my bags to come home. Louise is leaving on a different flight 8 hours after me so it's was a sad farewell and can't wait to see each other on the other side. I'll be arriving in Heathrow and then driving up to Birmingham firstly to get the engagement ring that's been made whilst we have been away and then on to Birmingham Airport to collect Louise, ring in hand.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb