Turning Javenese (I really think so)


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
September 20th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dale in JakartaDale in JakartaDale in Jakarta

This is just a side street-look at the traffic!
We're in Jakarta! We made it! It has certainly been an eventful journey getting here.

So the original plan was to ferry it all the way from Singapore to Jakarta, but we were disapointed to discover the ferry timetable online was out of date and now the ferry to Jakarta only sails once a week... on a wednesday. So it was plan B time.

We took a ferry from Singapore to Bintam which is a long way north west of Jakarta. Then from Bintam we got a very cheap flight, with the most reputable airline available, to Jakarta. We had forgot to adjust our watches when we migrated to Indonesia and ended up having a much longer wait at the tiny aiport than expected. It was really a case of hanging around people watching. It's Ramadan at the moment so all the eateries are shrouded with curtains which seemed really strange. We went into a little Cafe where the waitresses had a unique method of removing demanding cats. They swept them up. This particular cat had obviously been 'swept' before as it just lay there on it's back lazily whilst been swept out of the establishment. It conjured up images of that 'Jam' sketch where the TV installation guy recommends sweeping up the Lizards that are pouring out of the set -heehee. (Sorry- it will make no sense if you haven't seen it).

Anyway it was a good job we were early. This is a first for me, and for Dale, and I don't think anyone I know has had this happen, but the plane took off half an hour early! They were very pleased to announce that we would take off early and get to jakarta 30mins before expected! Crazy. The flight was a bit scary with a lot more lateral movement than I'm used to, also some dipping and ducking- eek! Don't worry Mum It's the safest way to travel. We arrived in Jakarta safe and sound.

Whilst waiting around the airport Dale and I had observed that people in Indonesia really seem to love there motorsports, with all the hip young things wearing Gp Jackets and big billboards with various F1 stars advertising fortified drinks. Yes they seem to love motorsport. After our Taxi ride to the City center it was easy to see why. Our driver could rival Lewis Hamilton. You wouldn't believe the traffic in Jakarta, you'd have to see it for yourself. Our driver was weaving between the four lanes all bumper to bumper, forcing his way in, with obvious skill, a do or die manner and a sixth sense for which lane would move the fastest at any given time. He also made great use of a 5th lane we like to call the hard shoulder, yeah I think that was his favourite... I myself prefer lanes that aren't quite so narrow. Once again we arrived safe but resolute we will not take another taxi in Jakarta.

This place is absolutely mental. It's like one big traffic jam and affectionately know in Asia as the Big Durian as it's huge, spikey and smells funny. Our hostel is... lets just say 'basic', but it's cheap and the guy who runs it is a kool Dutch guy.

We definately needed a beer after our white knuckle journey so we ventured into one of the many bars on our street. We chose a live music venue and the act was a Casio-keyboard and a women singing songs in the same style as that Romantic, Chinese pop. It was brilliant!! We had a really great time! We met some really friendly locals too. One of the guys we met has several restaurants in Jakarta which specialise in the traditional Indonesian dish Gado Gado (beansprouts, tofu and peanuts) which just so happens to be veggie, yay! So we're planning to sample that tonight.

Well sorry for rambling, I'm typing really fast! That brings us to today. We just had some breakfast where we just resorted to picking something random off the menu as it was in indonesian, and what we got was doorsteps of toast with what tasted like melted bounty bars sandwiched between it and some gorgeously strong Java coffee. Yum. More boring entries about what we've been eating to come later!!! Just kidding.

We love Jakarta! We love you all, sam and Dale.

Advertisement



23rd September 2008

hey
Alright guys sounds top over there, miss the randoness of asia. Its way annotin cause i can read your blogs on my phone but i can't leave any comments :( Let see any news from this end... I'm movin on friday, cieran the nob signed the papers on thursday then decided to back out which actually has turned out to be a good thing cause i think your bro's gonna move in. Not really done much to be honest been savin for my deposit so been workin mostly, ant way i gotts dash, workin at 5 but i'll be in touch soon, much love goo xxxxxxx

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb