So Long Jakarta, Thanks for the Sunburn


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Jakarta
November 19th 2005
Published: November 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

ExteriorExteriorExterior

Hal's Parents House from the outside
Well, not really. The sunburn actually came from thailand, but it sounded about right. We have found Jakarta to be hospitable and humid, with a chance of thunderstorms. We would love to tell you about all of the sights we saw and interesting new things we ate, but we didnt do much exploring. Hal has spent the last few days reconnecting with his high school buddies, and visiting with teachers and family friends.

It is a mighty strange place to visit, a constant contradiction. Guilded mansions built of marble are fronted by shacks built of wood and trash, or pushcart street vendors. The neverending traffic is a frantic mixture of chauffered cars and motorbikes. The department store is a collection of individual vendors as in a market, together in one large florecent lit a/c'd seven floor space. Its hard to explain, but after visiting Jakarta I feel as if I have been both to Beverly Hills and South Central L.A. at the same time. Well, like that with a much more tropical motif.

Yesterday we finished the week of with a visit to the elementary school for the UN day celebration, and went off to a costume party in
InteriorInteriorInterior

And from the inside
the evening. Again, except for the tropical plants, you would have never known you were in Indonesia, and not the OC. Even the kids in elementary have their private cars waiting to pick them up after school.

The party was fun, but unfortunetly, the shot of absinthe didnt bring me closer to Ewan Macgregor. I will have to write the manufacturer to complain. We are attaching some photos here in no particular order. We are off to Hong Kong today.

Love, C+H


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

HahaHaha
Haha

Hal Has perfected the art of pool lounging
MillionMillion
Million

Ever wonder what a cool Mil looks like?


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb