Maumere in History


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Flores » Maumere
November 30th 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kristus RajaKristus RajaKristus Raja

Kristus Raja, a sacred Catholic monument at northwest area near Sadang Bui Port. This is the second monument which was blessed by The Holy Father John Paul II. The first monument was destroyed in World War II 1940s.
Have you ever come to Maumere? How is it like? Dusty? Really , Maumere is well known as a dusty town in NTT province, Indonesia. The town is the capital of Sikka regency which has 180 km square. In 1700s, the name of Maumere had not been heard. At the time, there was a region to deal in business among original habitants of Sikkaness, Bugis, Makasar and Dutch which named Alok Wolokoli. The region was controlled by Sadok Lodang from Sadipung ethnic. Because it was signaled as black market, the King of Sikkaness, Don Cormosemao da Silva ordered Mo’ang Juang to be commandati, a person who controlled harbor fee.
Name of Alok Wolokoli changed into Alok Sikka. The eastern citizens name it Sikka Lotik or Little Sikka. Nowadays, the place has been a main part of Maumere which include Madawat, Kabor and Kota Uneng.
Name of Alok Wolokoli changed into Alok Sikka. The eastern citizens name it Sikka Lotik or Little Sikka. Nowadays, the place has been a main part of Maumere which include Madawat, Kabor and Kota Uneng.
The eastern citizens name Alok Sikka as Sikka Lotik. The reason is the King of Sikka and his government was
Maumere Center on Jl. Moa TodaMaumere Center on Jl. Moa TodaMaumere Center on Jl. Moa Toda

This daily situation around block shop at Maumere Center on Jl. Moa Toda
still centered on the south region of Sikka while Alok Sikka was just a region for trade. In 1917, Nong Meak, King of Sikka had just moved his palace to Maumere town by the suggestions of Netherlands pousthouder, G.A.Van Siek 1879. Meak’s palace has been a hotel named Lareska. His landscaap was sitated at the time on a place which now has become a sacred place for Catholic people in Maumere named Kristus Raja, Christ of the Kings.
Who began the name of Maumere? The name of Maumere was begun from an amazing. The amazing of sailors from Ende, Lio ethnic who accompanied with maritime expeditions of Netherlands officials to draw a map of Flores island. The sailors proud of Alok Sikka’s scene as a big port, busy situated in a beautiful strait. Spontaneously, they said Maumere. Mau means beach and Mere means busy. The way for naming Maumere is as same as the name of Australia continent. The name of Australia began from spontaneous expression of Ambon sailors. When the expedition ship approached the continent, the sailors asked to the expedition team in their origin dialect Os tra lia? Then, the expedition team names the continent as Australia.
Maumere Center on Jl. Moa TodaMaumere Center on Jl. Moa TodaMaumere Center on Jl. Moa Toda

This daily situation around block shop at Maumere Center on Jl. Moa Toda
What is Os tra lia meant by? Os tra lia is don’t you see Sir? Since 1861 the name has been popular. It can be proven from a letter written to a monsignor in Batavia from a Catholic missioner. His name is J.P.N. Sanders Pr. At Juli 3rd 1861 he wrote the word of Maumere frequently in his letter.
In 1940s, Maumere people missed Kristus Raja, the sacred statue, the symbol of Catholic identity and the guardian town because of World War II. The first statue of Christ of the Kings was destroyed. Tasuku Sato, a Japan soldier also proud of the statue. He wrote it in a book entitled I remember Flores. What you are looking at the image is the second statue of Christ of the Kings which was blessed by Pope John Paul II in his visit in October 1989 in Samador stadium
After blessed the second statue, John Paul II decided to stay in the town a night. That’s why, Maumere became a night Vatican in Flores island. The Pope stayed at Catholic High Seminary named St. Petrus Ledalero. Just a night but it is very meaningful for Sikkaness people. Three years later, 1992 Maumere was destroyed by Tsunami. “A Night Vatican “town changed image became camps of victims because the worst disaster. A half of buildings became ruins. Beautiful beaches and marine life began to decompose. Many people died. Diving spots and coral reefs for foreign tourists were destroyed too. Maumere was between renown and buried at the moment. Then, how is Maumere today? The dusty town is changing.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb