BALI IS A SYMPHONY OF NATURE, SOUNDS, SCENTS & CULTURE..............


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
January 15th 2014
Published: February 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

! awake to nature's symphony; birds, frogs, roosters. The tropical breeze swirls through the palm & coconut trees, they are dancing. A new day has begun in Ubud! Someone is chopping in the distance, preparing for the breakfast meal. I'm back in Ubud, Bali & loving it! My soul feels free............

Each winter, I enjoy putting my Passport to good use! Jan 13th, I boarded Korean Air at JFK, was 15 hrs to Seoul; then another 6 hrs to Denpasar, Bali. All in all, 35 hrs from start to finish. No doubt, I want to be here, it's a long way to come for a 'green smoothie' and a lotus flower!!!!!

I went with friends to Petulu Gunung village, 3 km from Ubud. Many years ago the village was so poor, and cut off from other villages, they had very little to eat. They would have to travel long distances to other villages for rice, tuberous plants & coffee. They finally realized they had not been making offerings to the Gods. They prepared a big feast of coconut leaf, rice, eggs & animals. A ceremony was held on Oct. 25, 1965 at the temple, to give gratitude. Soon after,
Heron birds Heron birds Heron birds

Each day around 4 PM, heron birds come by the hundreds of thousands to Petulu Guning villag and perch in the trees! Beautiful to see
heron birds began to arrive. Hundred of thousands came to the village each day & perched in the trees by the rice fields. They villagers said this was a gift from 'God Almighty'. The birds are considered holy and are protected. Today, the birds fly across the rice fields to nest in the trees each day around 4 PM. It is lovely to see.......

Now about coconuts! They are considered holy as they have so many uses to the Balinese. A coconut plant is given to a bride and groom day of their wedding. After they plant it, it is said, will bring fertility and good luck. They are easy to get, when a guest arrives, you climb the tree and pick it! Many years ago, the mesh of the coconut, was used to make clothing. Young leaves are used to make baskets for daily offerings, plates, roofing, walls, shopping bags & hats. The leaves used for roofing protects and brings good life. The flower from the coconut plant is ground & used to relieve ear aches. Coconuts also used to carry holy water. Coconut milk is used for baby before the mom's milk comes in. Palm sugar is also made from coconuts & is very delicious. I was told by a mususe to drink coconut milk to relieve stomach ailments. There are many types of coconuts. As I was walking thru the rice fields, I bought a large, fresh coconut from a local farmer, sat & enjoyed a chat with his wife, who made coconut oil from the coconuts. She explained the process of making the oil & then wanted to sell me a jar. The coconut was 1,000 Rupia or $1. & was delicious.

More info: Government has been giving chemicals to farmers. Many have stopped using chemicals but it will take 20 yrs for the to produce organic. A few organic farms exist today. In 1970, due to Muslims, the gov't passed a law that everyone had to have breasts covered. Balinese year has 210 days, most don't know their age. They use to chew beattlenuts. Tigers are symbols of a healthy environment, only 10 Balinize tigers exist today. Animals have been killed off and trees are being cut down for carvings. Balinese culture must have, 'people, environment and God'.

Greed has found it's way to Bali in the name of 'villas'. X-Pats, investors & builders are flocking to Bali to buy rice fields. The government isn't protecting the rice fields; they like the tax revenue the villas are producing. These villas are very large and look out of place in the rice fields. Rice farmers are getting older and cannot manage the fields, it is tedious, backbreaking work; the young people are leaving the villages to work in the hotel business. Fortunately, there are still beautiful rice fields to walk through, to enjoy the peace and serenity.

I have now been here one month. Since there is so much to write about, I have decided to end this blog and begin a new one. I don't believe in making my blogs long and tedious! Hope you have enjoyed and please scroll down to see more photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Farmer selling me a fresh coconutFarmer selling me a fresh coconut
Farmer selling me a fresh coconut

Notice the villa behind the farmer.........
So much buildingSo much building
So much building

The rice fields are being sold off; also building going in the mountains & in small villages


15th February 2014

Loving your blog
Dear Cookie, How beautifully you write and describe what it really feels like to be in Bali, the good, the bad and how these changes have come about. You certainly have a strong feeling for the way of life in these places and you and the place blend together perfectly. So look forward to more of your blogs. Be well, may God's divine protection and love surround you, Carlynn
15th February 2014

Beautifully written and very informative. Would love you to send me pics of the birds to paint.
15th February 2014

Enjoyed your blog, sad about exploitation of poor people. We are in P'town for a few awaiting another snow storm. You have escaped the tough, cold winter. My niece and I are among the few who do not mind the snow. Keep enjoying, Dolores
15th February 2014

a couple of typos Cookie- I\'m still back to our Senior year at BHS when you sat next to me in Honors English-really a beautiful presentation-Kyoko loved the one I had taken her to at the FL Yacht Club several years ago and I forward these to her and Alynn who is also enjoying them
15th February 2014

WOW!!
Sounds absolutely fantabulous!!! Bobbie has been forwarding your blogs to me.
1st March 2014

Like describing my hometown
Bali you describe just like my hometown. We had beautiful rice field before. But now most of the land become city. Bride and groom plant coconut trees on wedding day in some places in Hainan, too. Though we don't have white lotus, but we have pink lotus. We had a lot of all kinds of birds. But now we seldom find birds.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb