Bali -land of dancing, rice fields, stonework, and surf


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
April 6th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Taking a break from the Ecolodge, we met up with Kim and Awe for a quick vacation in Bali.

Starting out in the touristy area of Kuta, we enjoyed Mexican food, a movie, and a bit of surfing (Jarod got up on a board a few times at Kuta Beach). We rented an old Kejang truck and Kim drove us all over the island beginning our trip heading west to the incredible Ulu Watu Temple overlooking massive cliffs. We watched a kekak show at sunset where the men make music noises with their voices and the dancers acted out the Ramayana story of Sita and Rama. Sita is kidnapped in the forest and is essentially rescued by the white monkey god Hanuman. Beautiful dancing with great costumes!

We went north to Tanah Lot, a beautiful temple built onto the rock jutting out into the sea. We headed to Baliana for a night where Kim caught some surf and we relaxed and enjoyed the black sand beaches of this mellow area. Then, we made our way to Medewi, another surf spot to stay at a nice homestay and watch Kim surf. Jarod went out to try, but didn't have much luck. It was definitely not a place for beginners with a beach lined with massive boulders!

We caught a quick afternoon dive in the northwest corner of the island and then stayed in Lovina at a nice hotel with a swimming pool for like $9 USD a night! Driving up towards the volcano Mt. Batur, we stopped for tea at a restaurant overhanging the cliffs where our truck promptly broke down. With some help pushing, we were on our way again to stay a few days in the artsy area of Ubud.

In Ubud, we each pre-ordered an entire smoked duck to eat the next day and took in the markets for some souvenir shopping and an evening gamelon and legong dancing show. We also enoyed some pizza, delicious Bintang, and avocado shakes with chocolate syrup (much better than it sounds). We stayed at a family run homestay with an incredible garden.

We also got a chance to check out the Green School, an international school made almost entirely of bamboo with composting toilets and a vortex for energy production. Amazing place - would love to be a kid at that school. After taking Kim and Awe to the airport, Jarod and I were on our for a few days which meant we had to drive in crazy Bali! With an old truck with the steering wheel on the right, driving a stick with his left hand, narrow roads, cars and motorbikes parked everywhere, and kids, people and dogs at every turn, Jarod somehow managed to get us to Ubud and back without any major problems. I was happy to read the map and be a passenger side critic! After our weeks long trip, Jarod and Kim only managed to hit another car (the sideview mirror), a curb, a dog (who was okay), and a motorbike driver (didn't hurt him, just made him a bit mad.) Not too bad I guess!

We had a great vacation, but we are all glad to be back on Koh Ra where there are no motorized vehicles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb