A funny thing happened on the way to Bali...


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
January 1st 2006
Published: January 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

First things first- let me wish you all a happy new year, and hope 2006 brings you all much joy etc.

We had a particularly raucous night last night. After eating, we watched the first half of Aston Villa v Arsenal. That was excitement enough (0-0 at half time, 0-0 at full time), but then, after putting the kids to bed at 9.30pm, Claire and I realised we were so tired we had to go to bed too. Fast asleep by 11.30pm. A fantastic way to see the new year in. However, we were awake at 8am Bali time, which is midnight in London, so sort of saw the year in in a not-really-there kind of way.

For those steam train enthusiasts amongst you (I know there are plenty of you out there), we went on a steam train in the Dandenongs, which are just outside Melbourne. This is a lovingly looked after recreation of an old line, managed by a number of men of advancing years. It was enjoyable, and Mia became a star in her own right at one point when a coach load of Japanese tourists decided they wanted their photos taken with her rather than the train. We also had a very friendly conductor who Mia ended up inviting to come and stay with us in London. Hopefully he won't take her up on the offer as we haven't anywhere to live on our return.

As conveyed in the previous blog, we did like Melbourne. Now, however, we are in Ubud in Bali, the cultural heart of the island. There aren't many people here- visitors are staying away after the bombs in October, which is good for us as it means accomodation is no problem and the streets aren't as busy, but a real shame for the Balinese as tourism is their major source of income. At Perth airport, when we had checked in for our flight here (a half empty flight, which was nice), we were approached by Channel Seven news, who asked us how we felt about going to Bali in light of the Australian governments newly released information regarding terrorist attacks on the island over the Xmas/ New Year period. After a brief interview, in which the journalist became more carried away with every question ("What about the kids? What about the kidnapping threats? Don't you CARE???"), we were then filmed making our way down the terminal, smiling happily as we whisked our poor, innocent children off to a war zone. Unfortunately, we never got to see our performance, but no doubt it was edited in such a manner to make us look just like the lackadaisical, uncaring monstrous parents that we truly are. No doubt Australian social services will be waiting for us at Perth when we fly back on the 14th.

Having dodged all the suicide bombers on our way from the airport to our hotel in Legian, we actually ended up having a very pleasant time at the hotel for the first week. The lack of tourists meant there was plenty of space to chill out, which we did. There was a pool for the kids, which meant we didn't have to worry where they were or what they were doing. Christmas Day was just like back home- 35 degrees, lazing by the pool, burger and chips for lunch...

Yesterday we rented a jeep which conked out on us in a village just outside Ubud. That was fun. We are off to a small island called Nusa Lembongan tomorrow. That should be fun too.

I can't put any photos on this one as the computer won't allow it, so sorry about that, but it will make it all the more exciting next time. Probably.

So, hope you all recover from any excesses excessed over the festive period. Must go, there are swims to be swum.



Advertisement



1st January 2006

This is all very well, but you should be nice to those oldish men who look after steam trains. The world would be a poorer place without them. I'm sending you by express post a kit to help you deal with meddlesome reporters, especially those from channel 7. (Where are the other 6?)
19th January 2006


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb