Moutain Bike tour


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Legian
June 3rd 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

I was really looking forward to today, we headed of into the hills around 8am the drive took around one & half hours, driving through all the small villages. We stopped opposite Mt Batur for breakfast. Locals no longer live to close to the mountain as it erupted a few years back and is still active. From here we headed to join our guide.

Yes on went the helmets and onto the bikes we jumped. This was a great way to see the real Bali we headed down hill thank god through the farms starting with coffee beans, when they turn red they are ready for harvest then the trees are used for cooking with as the beans can only harvest once then they start all over again. Then onto the chillie fields that are grown for the westerners as they would not be hot enough for them, as thay are to big smaller the hotter.

We stopped at a local temple where the 6 months ceremony are held, the cook pitt in full force they have a live cook fight on the big night then eat them after, we saw the big cocks in man made baskets getting all revved up for the big day.

We were then lucky enough to stop at a local familys housed, this house 11 people and has 1 room with 2 double beds using a wooden sleeper as there pillow using the oven to keep the room warm. The women were preparing food for the big day while the boys are carving wood to send to the town to sell. The grandparents were sitting there shelling berries. The familys would normally live together with the women joining the mens familys.

We then headed through all of the rice fields, they are around the size of a football field, the men send the women to work on the fields as the field takes 3 months from start to finish and would earn them $30.
They sow all the seeds by hand and hand cut it all back then the older generation look after the drying of the rice on the street, laying on sheets drying in the sun.

Then the last stop lunch in Abud and funny enough we had lunch in the same place but the set menu was much nicer.

After all the excitment we headed into town for tattoos, I had mine re coloured Jay had a big one under his arm this is his man tat I love it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb