Kuta not what it's cracked up to be?


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
April 17th 2011
Published: April 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So we arrive at the airport next to Kuta and begin making our way through customs. We find our bags first and two guys in uniform run up to us and take our bags. I almost told them to STOP and back off but hesitated due to their appearance. Joey hesitated too and then seemed relaxed about the whole thing. I had a feeling these guys were just after a tip but decided to go along with it as they got us through customs really fast - almost too easily.

Then they took up around the corner near the exit and demanded money from us - the kind of 'happy' ending I was expecting but was bit expecting them to hold out a large note and say "you must pay this one". We paid it to them to shut them up, only to have the other guy appear annoyed he didn't get the same amount and he wanted his share too. So, naturally, he demanded it from us! We pretended we didn't have that much cash on us and that we were unaware of their expected price - the second part being true. It was alot! Tension started to build so we felt obligated to give them a couple of bucks extra to shut them up. They left with smiles going from ear to ear - bastards.

A good intro to Bali and kept us on our toes for the rest of the night as we found a hotel (spent ages trying to get a good deal) and made our way down town for some food. Taxi drivers and guys on bikes hassling us to pay them for a ride and they couldn't believe we preferred to walk, one yelling out "BULLSHIT!" lol!

While hunting down some food we walked past an Art Market! I had read about it in the brochure and was very excited, only to dislike the place as soon as I walked in because nearly everything there (particularly the paintings & ornaments) were all factory made, not hand created and you could get the same things in Melbourne, only cheaper! Pissed off we walked out of there pretty fast and the only food place still open was Domino's or Burger King - disappointing again but what the heck, it was the first night, we were tired and decided we would get out of the area tomorrow and see what REAL cultural delights.

At night Kuta seemed like a trashy, busy, westernised area. Not sure what the fuss is all about. It's morning now, 8am, and I have just peered out the window and now the place looks like a tropical paradise. Our hotel doesn't look so bad now. In the brochure it looked tropically stunning with it's balinese architecture but once we got there, the tacky neon lights were out and the karaoke bar next door added a bit of Kuta 'Klass'. We'll be finding a new place to stay today, somewhere more quaint, a bit more out of the way perhaps.

Joe's still asleep. Depending on the time he gets up we may go for a tour but might prefer to create our own tour today as each tour, from the most complicated and busy to the serene, all finish with a seafood banquet overlooking a sunset at a restaurant near a temple. Sounds like something we could do ourselves and save about $80.

love ya,

Tara

Advertisement



17th April 2011

Sounds like Srilanka!
Hi Honey They do the same in Sri lanka - they run after you to do anything so you will give them money! They are just trying to make a living but it is better to not encourage it, you'll be sick of it by the time you leave. We went to an 'Art Show' in Columbo which were all copies and not original too. Never mind, you'll find some authentic culture in your travels. Love you both lots Mum XXX

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb