Bali Parties


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
July 14th 2009
Published: July 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we are finally settling in Bali, our initial impression of it was not good but we are now loving it.

After my last blog, we found the train/bus station in Jakarta, without getting run over or lost. It was an experience, we are noticing that everywhere we go people stare. We dont know if we have something on us or i dont know. They also seem to think that we look really funny. It is odd.

On the way back from the station we went through the freedom square where there is a huge gold statue in the middle. It is all lit up at night which is really good. Choosing to walk along the side of the road and not follow for fear of being run over(big mistake) we made our way round the edge of the square to find the entrance. We were following these boys so were sure it would lead to a gate, but no there was no gate and instead they just weaved through the gap in the gates to get in. So we followed. This highly amused them and then they wanted to have a photo with us. (something we are getting used to.)

After our wonder back to the hotel, we picked up our bags and headed to the bus to get to the airport. See we are now acting like real travellers and using the public transport. The bus was meant to leave at 6.45 but the conducter did not feel the mood to leave. After avoiding talking to us and running round the bus we finally persuaded him to leave so we would not miss our flight.

Now for some odd reason the domestic flight airport is soooo much nicer than what we arrived into. The flooor was so clean that you see your reflection it is mental. The flight was good apart from us thinking that we could sit anywhere, getting over excited about it and then being told we had seat numbers. woops. For 20 pounds we didnt crash there was no turbulence and it was like being on easy jet.

So we arrived in Bali at around 12 at night. We had managed to call ahead to book a hotel so we were not worried about this. hoppping in a taxi we drove there only to find that it was shut, the owners had gone to sleep. Lucky for us there was an english guy who offered to open the door, the only problem being that we ddint know which room we were staying it. The hostel is like a guesthouse a family live there and look the door at 12, which we were not told about. Luckily, the english guy, Charlie, (it turns out he is a Nottingham Graduate in environmental sciences and did a masters in Loughboourgh, and surfs so it not a pschopath) our life savior, offered for us to share his room. At first glance we were like this is very odd, but then seein that there were two single beds, he was leaving all his stuff in there, we thought he must be a normal person so agreed. Now i know it is not the safest thing to do before i get emails about this, but it was safer than wallking around Bali with all our stuff in the middle of the night when everywhere was full.

In the morning we got access to our room, with is a little bungalow with a porch and ensuite bathroom. All for the grand total of 4 pounds for the two of us.

Yesterday was spent exploring Bali, the Magaluf for Austrailians, still having the problem that literally all the Indonesians could not stop staring at us. We still haven't figured out why, cause there are loads of Australians here so they have seen westerners before. We had a really tiring day of laying on the beach and getting a tan. That evening we met BOB.

Bob had kindly taken residence on the bathroom door. This meant as SJ went to have a shower he made an appearance as SJ went to shut the door. I was quietly relaxing in the bug free mosquito next and heard the screams. Being the macho I can kill things person, well not really I took it on myself to kill it. Well actually i rescued SJ and went to find Charlie. On finding Charlie was actually out we ventured back to the room, only to find that bob had escaped the bathroom and was under my bed. By the way bob is a cockroach. He was huge, you notice the past tense. Seeming as it was 9 at night and i was starving i made SJ have a shower while i proceeded to try and kill BOb. Easier said than done when I hate cockroaches and they are sooo gross. So having Bob being lured into a sense of security, he ventured out only to be met by a hiking boot. This initially stunned him and then the next landed upon him. As of then Bob was dead but to make sure another hiking boot turned him into a pancake.

So with our excitment over we headed out to dinner. As we were enjoying our tastless pizzas these young Austrailians decided the most direct root to the toilets was to circle us, which was very odd. On asking this was apparently a dare. We had an interesting time tryin to find the places to go out, but eventually found where everyone had been hiding and proceeded to have an amazing time. Finishing at MacDonalds on the beach front at 5 in the morning.

This meant that our surf lesson at 10 the next morning with Charlie was missed. Apparently he did bang on or door but i feel we were tooo exhausted to hear him.

So today has been incredible lazy. We only got up at 2.30, but i feel we are now over our jet lag. We have relaxed on the beach, got our photos taken and decided Bali is wicked. Kuta is the place to go out. We have reorganised our surf lesson for tomorrow morning. Now we are going to go up the beach to the posh area Semenyak and have a good pizza, appparently the bars there are architecurally good, so i feel i should look. (this of course is the reason to go).

We are planning to head to the Gilis islands we are thinking in a couple of days, just relax and get used to travelling first. Sj is going to do her diving certificate and I am going to go off and dive. So should be good.

Hope u r enjoying ur sunny weather in england. It is wierd to think i am eight hours ahead, i am literally half way across the world, well i suppose i am four hours from austrailia.

Advertisement



14th July 2009

Bali Wali
Amazing!!!! Sounds awesome. XX

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb