a month in kuta


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Kuta
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, the last month has been pretty uneventful, after sumbawa we checked back into the aqurius star hotel, and well, we've been there the whole time. we surf every morning, twice a day if tides permit. In the last month we've probably taken 3 full days off surfing. There have been some more interesting stuff, on the 31st we went out drinking on the steps (some steps in front of shops that aot of travellers hang out on) and we met alot of different people from all over the world, even a couple canadians from BC. after the steps we got back to the hotel around 1:30, and after a quick dip in the pool we noticed how bright the full moon was, so we decided to go check how the surf was, it was low tide, but hey maybe we'd get lucky and it'd be doing something, we got lucky, we got out there and it was awesome, we probably surfed for 2 hours at least and caught some awesome long waves. I mean we expected that maybe we would be able to catch a little whitewash into the beach, but the waves were really good, we both got some good mostly right handers, a couple lefts though. It worked perfect, the moon gave us a perfect ambient light, and as waves mounted up we could see the reflection of the lights on kuta to tell where they were going to break. amazing night, the walk back was awesome too, because the people that were left on poppies 1 at 4 AM couldn't believe we had just gotten out of the surf, haha. I'm not really going in to much chronological order here, but we met up with this guy from Vancouver, Richard, who we helped pick out a surf board, and at the same time Andy bought another board, a 6'2", 20" wide, it's pretty sick. So we've been hanging out with this guy alot and surfing a ton of course! We talked with Richard about how we wished we could find a risk board, but after searching all the department stores and stuff we had no luck. we were pretty bummed on having no luck in that department,so we decided a risk board couldn't be too hard to make, we got a pic of one off the internet, and Andy drew one on the bottom of our skimboard with a sharpie, I'm pretty sure everones shaking there heads about how this is a dumb idea and we can't pull it off, while andy drew that out I went down to the wood carving place just around the corner and got the guy to carve us 5 dice, 2 light wood, 3 dark wood, and well, long story short (kinda) we've played 2 games so far without any problems, haha, it's sweet, we plaed in richard's hotel the other night, in air conditioning haha, it was awesome, and last night we played in the resteraunt in our hotel, it was sick, and in case your wondering, yes, we are huge losers, haha, but that's okay. A couple days after meeting up with Richard we decided to take Yogi (from ESC) and check out the fish market on jimberran beach, we loaded up bikes, (oh ya,me and Andy rented a scooter and have been cruising around on that) me and Andy on ours, Yogi and richard on the other. I wasn't 100% on the way there, so i said I'd follow Yogi there, obviously I had forgotten Yogi was balnese and in about 2 blocks he lost me after squeezing between 2 trucks that I thought our bike probably wouldn't make it through. Anyways, I found out I guess I do knowhow to get there, and upon arriving there we drove up and down the beach looking for richard and Yogi, but had no luck, we ended up just ordering and sitting at one of the tables on the beach and enjoying a huge spread between the 2 of us we spent 150,000 Rp (very expensive dinner) about $18 CA and got: a whole barracuda, whole Yellow snapper (same as we had i sumbawa) 8 shrimp, 6 clams, a huge squid and all the included stuff, salad,peanuts, etc. We polished all that off between the 2 of us, and it was amazing. After dinner we headed back to Kuta and met up with Yogi and Richard on the steps for a couple drinks, and adjourned early to wake up for an early surf session. well, it's been a pretty uneventful ast month, but on the 18th we leave for singapore, to extend our visas, and we're back on the 25th, we'll be there for go skateboarding day, and I've already looked into an event happening for it. once getting back I feel like we have a good base of surfing skills to work with and I'm ready for some new spots... medawi is one of the first on the list, as well as kuta reef, airport lefts, berawa, canggu, and some others, but i'll keep everyone posted. Anyways, until next time!
--Justin

Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb