India 4: Northern India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
September 7th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I'm back in the UK now, just starting my PGCE course! But I thought I'd finish off the blog anyway! So here's what happened in the second half of my trip:

Thu 18th August - Day in Delhi on my own. Spent most of the day in the National Museum, which had some really interesting and beautiful exhibits, including Indian sculpture, miniature painting and textiles. There were lots of protests going on in Delhi, in support of Anna Hazare, who was on hunger strike against corruption in the government - a very just cause. On the way back from the museum, there was a road block and I had to walk through the back of one of the demonstrations, which I'd been trying to avoid, but it was all very peaceful.

Fri 19th August - Today I began the group tour around Northern India. I met the tour guide and the rest of the group off their flight from London, and we got straight on the bus to Sariska National Park. Spent the evening relaxing at our lovely hotel resort - very posh compared to some of the places I'd been staying so far!

Sat 20th August - Morning safari in Sariska National Park, where we saw peacocks, monkeys, antelope and spotted deer, as well as visiting the Hanuman (monkey god) temple in the centre of the park. We then drove to Jaipur, and spent the evening visiting the markets in the old city. Jaipur is called the 'pink' city because all the buildings are a lovely terracota colour.

Sun 21st August - A big day of sight-seeing in Jaipur. We visited the beautiful Amber Fort, with palaces decorated with coloured glass, mirrors and carvings. I also went on an elephant ride up to the fort! Next, we went to a handicrafts shop, to see a demonstration of traditional Indian block printing and carpet making. In the afternoon, we visited Jantar Mantar, Jai Singh's fascinating observatory, which looks like a post-modern sculpture park but is actually a series of astrological instruments. We also went to the pretty City Palace.

Mon 22nd August - Today we travelled from Jaipur to Agra, stopping off at the impressive 16th century city fort of Fatehpur Sikri.

Tue 23rd August - We left the hotel at 5.30am to see the Taj Mahal at sunrise. Unfortunately, it was too cloudy to see the sunrise, but I'm still so glad we went early, because there was such a peaceful atmosphere. The Taj Mahal really is stunning! I expected its perfect symmetry, but not the detailed flower patterns made from inlaid gem stones in the white marble, which are just beautiful. In the afternoon, we visited Agra'd Red Fort. I particularly liked the white marble section, which again was covered in intricate gem stone flowers. In the evening, we found out the disappointing news that our train to Varanasi was cancelled, so we would have to visit alternative places for the next 2 days.

Wed 24th August - In the morning, we went to see a Bollywood Film in Agra called 'Aarakshan', which was about the reservation system in Indian education. We then travelled to Bharatpur, visiting Akbar's Tomb on the way, a magnificent monument with inlaid gem stones, gold leaf designs and a park with deer roaming about! In the evening, we visited a market in Bharatpur.

Thu 25th August - A very long but wonderful day! We got up early to go to the Keoladeo National Park and Bird Sanctuary, where we were ridden around the park by very knowledgeable rickshaw drivers, who pointed out the many birds. We then travelled to Mathura, visiting Deeg Palace on the way, a pretty palace complex which originally would have had 2000 fountains filled with rainbow coloured water. In the afternoon, we went sight-seeing in Mathura (Krishna's birthplace) and visited three very different Krishna temples. We then went on a sunset boat-ride and saw an aarti ceremony, where worshippers floated candles on the river, a totally serene highlight of the trip.

Fri 26th August - We spent the morning travelling to Delhi, and then saw some of the sights. The Anna Hazare protests were still going on and we saw some protesters driving around in trucks waving Indian flags. Final dinner with the tour group.

Sat 27th August - I had a relaxed morning then got my overnight train to Mumbai in the afternoon.

Sun 28th August - I met a girl called Irene in the morning and spent the day sight-seeing and shopping in Mumbai with her. The monsoon rains were torrential today! I also had a drink with Hilary and Vicky (who I met last time I was in Mumbai).

Mon 29th August - Bollywood day! Spent the day on the set of a Bollywood film as an extra. I was dressed up in a horrific hot pink dress with loads of make-up! It was a very long day with lots of standing around, but it was just fascinating to get an insight into how Bollywood works, and to see the stars being pampered.

Tue 30th August - My last day in India. I mainly spent the day shopping, having refined my haggling skills a bit by now! I met up with Hilary and Vicky for dinner, before heading to the airport.

Wed 31st August - Flight home.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb