Heading South.........


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Heading South……..


Tuesday 2nd February

After a lazy morning we packed up, had our last breakfast & checked out of Umaid Mahal. Super Salim was waiting outside & took us on the short journey to the station.

This time absolutely no hassle from the station - it was great, we were left to find our own platform, buy snacks and board the train. Just watching the comings & goings on the platform is real entertainment in its self. People drying underwear on piles of luggage, whole families entertaining themselves whilst sat on the platform producing full meals from their luggage, men sleeping & people selling all sorts for the journey.

We had booked onto the 2 tier A/C carriage again which was a god send as the lower classes were just a scramble, first come first served & if you weren't quick enough you wouldn't even get a seat - 17 hours is a long way standing up!

The journey was pretty good, smooth and on time. The commotion in the carriage went on for most of the night with sellers parading the isles with drinks, snacks & meals and people on and off of the train all night with its various stops along the way.

Our bunks were pretty comfy with a lower bunk which converted into 2 seats for the daytime and an upper and lower bed with curtains and reading light for the night. Clean bedding was also supplied with two flat sheets and a warm blanket. The A/C actually made it cool enough to need the blankets.


Wednesday 3rd February

The train arrived just about on time in Mumbai and so it was out to negotiate a taxi ride to the airport. They all looked pretty well used and were very similar looking to a beetle (and by the sounds of them maybe on the same running gear!) with a full bench seat in the front & gear leaver on the steering wheel. Not 1 taxi had rear view mirrors hence another death defying ride!

On arrival at Mumbai airport were greeted once again with civilization - clean departures area, standard check-in facility & friendly, helpful staff. Sam wants to just stay here - she is happy just sitting here in Cafe Coffee Day chilling & sipping cappuccino.............



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb