Darjeeling and Glenburn


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
November 26th 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

What an amazing few weeks?!
It has been possibly the most rewarding and character building 24 days of my life. The amount of times I've been thrown in the deep end to see if I would sink or swim has been ridiculous!

So a brief overview:
Although the project is based in Darjeeling I'm staying with another volunteer Hugh at a tea plantation called Glenburn about 1.5 hours drive away, down the roughest road known to man! It's amazing. The views of Kanchenjunga (the third highest peak in the world) are breathtaking from every part of the village.

The project involves teaching at two primary schools in the area which is very rewarding - but the the level of English some of the younger kids possess makes it difficult for us to benefit them. So me and Hugh focused more on the older kids (about age 10) playing games and singing songs to make learning fun. We also decided to start up lessons for the teachers - as ultimately, that is what will benefit the children most in the long run. So after teaching the kids all morning we'd have lunch and then head back to school to teach English to the teachers; and their progress was impressive.

This is going to have to be completed later - I'm currently at 3500m above sea level at Namche Bazaar with Mt. Everest looming over the shoulder. It's unbelievable!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb