fancy foods


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
November 23rd 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

in india all foods are fancy foods. some look better than they taste, more often it is the other way around. one thing is sure, it will be hard to leave these wonderful foods behind, the fun of street snacks, the ritual of the thali. not to mention the addiction to the spicey and sweet chai. perhaps we will extend our trip just another month or two...


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

huge pan of beans, shimlahuge pan of beans, shimla
huge pan of beans, shimla

served atop your samosas or other deep-fried fritter, the common and yet unbeatable chick peas in curried sauce.
bread pakora, shimlabread pakora, shimla
bread pakora, shimla

why the bread pakora, the unanswered question in indian street snacks. white bread triangles deep fried, often served with tasteless ketchup. why so popular with all the spicey greasiness available?
master chefs master chefs
master chefs

they know the food is dirty and good, hence the self-assured grins of those completely at one with their surroundings, enjoying the pleasures of the day.
rice puddingrice pudding
rice pudding

sweet rice puddings are richly delicious in india, often full of pistachio, almond and other lovely nuts. here, served with a yellow noodle base, unexpectedly pleasurable.
pickles and chutniespickles and chutnies
pickles and chutnies

i have never seen such abundance and innovation in the sphere of pickles. large shops completely devoted to the sale of them, made fresh and sold in bulk! endless varieties, it is a true representation of an earthly paradise.
tea shop interiortea shop interior
tea shop interior

sitting inside tea shops, peering out at the mayhem of the streets, haridwar. everything seems to be as it must.
dosa and plastic flowersdosa and plastic flowers
dosa and plastic flowers

at times, a modernist plastic flower is the perfect compliment to a delicious dosa, in photography as well as culinary art.
Thalis all round, RishikeshThalis all round, Rishikesh
Thalis all round, Rishikesh

only a fool refuses a thali, especially one so well-composed.
samosa, a dramatic studysamosa, a dramatic study
samosa, a dramatic study

the best accompaniment to the "continental sauce" is a tasty samosa, especially one with fresh green peas as well as the standard potato curry mix. the just-potato ones can disappoint.
chick pea and chapati street eatchick pea and chapati street eat
chick pea and chapati street eat

what a great street meal for only a dime. high-protein curry mixed with fresh onion, green chilies and lime juice served in a bio-degradable banana leaf bowl with fresh tandoori chapati. the genius of it baffles the mind.
sweet lime juicesweet lime juice
sweet lime juice

sweet limes are basically oranges, very tangy ones that make you perk up. the hand-cranked street juices are addictive as a morning, noon or evening shot of delicious vitamins.
idli, a south indian treatidli, a south indian treat
idli, a south indian treat

pounded, slightly fermented rice cakes, soft and light in texture. dipped into tart and spicey sambar and creamy coconut sauce. this is an excellent breakfast especially in hot weather.
scott purchases a sugary bitescott purchases a sugary bite
scott purchases a sugary bite

making sure he gets a good price for sugar-coated fennel seeds, what one tourist described as like eating "grandma's neck."
party-shirt cafe, varanasiparty-shirt cafe, varanasi
party-shirt cafe, varanasi

we'll eat anywhere the staff consistently wears good party shirts, especially if it is the same shirt day after day.
potato balls for salepotato balls for sale
potato balls for sale

much more than just a bland potato ball, these little lumps can be found all over the sub-continent. often mixed with garbanzos, many spices and various other veggies, served with spoonful of curry sauce in a bowl. excellent street meal!
dosa and uttapam, side by sidedosa and uttapam, side by side
dosa and uttapam, side by side

in varanasi we found the most excellent south indian eateries. it was perfect, dosa for breakfast, uttapam for lunch, idli for snacks, more dosas for dinner. it went on and on like this.
paranthaparantha
parantha

it comes in wildly varied shapes and sizes, with endless different stuffings. parantha is the perfect breakfast, good with curd. the most basic is potato stuffed parantha, dip it and enjoy.


4th December 2008

YUM!
You're making me jealous of all this tasty food even though I'm here! I'm about to jump of the computer and start eating my way through Tamil Nadu :-)

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb