Day 7 - Saturday 25th October 2008


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
October 25th 2008
Published: October 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up to rain and thick mist up on the hills. We had planned to go for a long walk but the rain has put paid to that. Perfect place but wrong weather.
Today's drive was very short one to Ooty, a one time summer retreat for the officials of the Raj .
We climbed from a height of 1,200m to 2,300m and there were 36 hairpin bends and with lorries and buses coming down the hill with minimum space to pass each other, there is no room for errors.
We decided Mel should drive so I can film it but our idea of me going up in another car and film Mel coming up in our car proved impractical as it really needed two people to concentrate onthe climb.
In the event everyone arrived safely through the mist and the bends.
Ooty is a quaint town with many churches and even a cathedral although only about 5% of the population is Christian. There is Charing cross and St Hilda's school. This part of the Nilgiri Hills has tea and coffee and the local chocolate and honey are renowned. We went to the cathedral but there was a funeral service going on.
After walking around town I managed to have a game of snooker with one of the other guys (I won by the last ball).
People are buying (or having made to measure) outfits for a party on the last night. Lots of people did their shopping in Mysore.
Tomorrow is a long drive and the scenery should be spectacular if the weather is clear.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb