Day 6 - Travel to Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
April 30th 2023
Published: April 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Earlier start today at 8am. On road, we got pulled up by the police for running a light. We were going to chip in but Arjun said not to worry because the company would pay for it.

Our first stop on the way to Agra was one I've been looking forward to, Chand Baori Step Well, located opposite a temple known as Harshat Mata Temple. It is believed that the Chand Baori step well has a religious connection and that’s the reason it was built in front of the temple. It was built around the 8th-9th century and is 19.5 metres deep
with a series of double flights of steps on 3 of the 4 sides. It did not disappoint, an amazing sight to see.

Along the way we were diverted off the main highway onto small rural roads. One stretch of road was most entertaining. Pot holes were everywhere and lots of traffic, everyone overtaking as many cars as possible, coming to abrupt stops at pot holes and oncoming traffic often driving off the road on the dirt sides to avoid colliding, sometimes three cars abreast on a small dodgy road built for two. Our driver, Arjay (Daisy keeps calling him Ajar), has been doing an excellent job playing dodge-em cars.

On arrival at Agra, we visited the Agra Red Fort, which was another marvellous piece of Mughal architecture which mixes Persian, European and Indian art, resulting in a unique Shahjahani style rich in form, expression and colour. Gardens here also influenced other gardens in India.

We got to the hotel at 5.35pm and had to get ready for a pick-up at 6.10pm to see a 1.25 hour show about the story of the Taj Mahal. The Hotel Clarks Shiraz must have been the hotel to go to in the 60s and 70s as they had a wall with plaques showing famous guests from that era. The show was called Mohabbat the Taj show and it was very entertaining with lots of colour and dancing. Then a short drive back to the hotel for dinner with Peter and Gordon, who had decided to give the show a miss.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb