Preparing for tomorrow


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
February 4th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday

Recovered from the long day yesterday with a FULL night's sleep.

Spent most of the day putting the finishing touches on a presentation for tomorrow--part of the "Developing Communities Through Continuing Education" conference. Starts at 11 and I've only got 20 minutes so I can only do so much damage!

We were invited, by the Dean of Students, to attend a 3:45 concert of Classical Indian Music. Organized by the Director of the Youth Welfare Department, this is similar to the types of things we do at American community colleges during "activity periods", breaks when students can come together for meetings or a concert. JU does not have regularly scheduled time blocks for this, has to schedule it between classes, when the artists have breaks from the classes, labs, and exams. They are not studying music at JU--there is a University of Fine Arts--this is extra curricular.

The presenters were very accomplished in their art--All India All University Gold Medal or Festival winners, past and present. We were treated to the Harmonium, a keyboard with bellows-like instrument that sat on the floor or table. The singer played the keys with her right hand, moved the bellows in and out with her left, as she performed several songs.

The Tabla were three drums; two were played at a time at an amazing rate, both in solo and along with the other instruments.

The Sarod (similar to the Sitar) player was the last to arrive--after an exam.

Wonderful music--I don't know when we would have had the opportunity to hear such lovely voices and instruments, especially in such a comfortable sitting. We had tea and conversation during a break and were able to chat with students. Very nice afternoon.

Once again this evening, we were treated to dinner at the home of one of our exchange partners, Sukhen. Great food, great company--met Sukhen's parents, daughter (another teenager in Kolkata with a JMU tee shirt!), wife, and nephew, an MBA student (very personable young man).


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Singing groupSinging group
Singing group

Sang the national anthem and a Bengali folk song, including lovely solos
GrandmotherGrandmother
Grandmother

The cook & hostess


5th February 2008

Checking every day
Just wanted you to know that I'm enjoying checking in on your trip - you're doing a great job of conveying the local culture. Keep having fun and stay away fromthe mosquitoes!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb