Colonial Calcutta


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata
November 16th 2006
Published: November 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 87 (about!)

We rocked up in Kolkata from cold, colonial, wealthy and hilly Darjeeling, expecting to hit pretty hard by the heat, indianess, poverty and flat landscape but we couldn't have been more wrong!

Kolkata was wealthy compared to Delhi and Varanasi (however we are now in Bangalore, which changes everything), it was a comfortable heat and it was very colonial. It was however pretty flat!

For most of the time we were proper tourists in a big city. We did lots of museums (the Victoria Memorial was an incredible cross between St Pauls Cathedral and the Taj Mahal), walked in some nice parks and took a river boat ride on the Hooghly. This was definitely one of the highlights since not only was the sunset over the city beautiful, it was also packed out with Indians getting up on stage and doing ridiculous dances along to really sketchy music! The main low point was a very bad Australian film at the film festival that was on when we were there - it was a very bad porno and angry version of Neighbours!

Although we stayed in the touristy part (and it was very different when we headed over the otherside of the river), our experience of Kolkata was amazing and a great way to finish our trip across the north of the country.

We now head down on a 36 hour train ride to Bangalore - which is meant to have nothing for tourists and be the technology capital of India. We're also meeting my Dad!

Oh and I nearly forgot about the Cricket we got to watch - Sri Lanka A v The Northen Zone. I think Soph pretty much understands the game now.... or at least thats what she told me, maybe so I stopped trying to explain it!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



16th November 2006

...bit late!
I only JUST realised i can reply to you via this blog..only taken ohh 87 days! Anyhow, just wanted to let you know how jealous I am!! Plus my flatmate last year comes from Bangalore, she complains that its so hot and humid there and much prefers our English climate! Plus my cousins live somewhere around there too...if only I knew then you could pop in for tea!! (thought it sounds as thought you've already had you fair share of tea) Lots of love to you both xxxx oh PS: becca is off on her season today!!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb