Darjeeling and train ride


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Darjeeling
February 18th 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were fortunate enough to be sitting next to a very helpful local 16 year old called Vidit on the 10 hour train from Kolkata to Siliguri. He made sure that rather than the girl volunteers in the other carriage being 4 to a bed that 3 came into our carriage so it was closer to 1-3 to a bed for everyone. If you're ver ina train in India, I would recommend giving money to the man-ladies that walk down the aisle collecting. Vidit told us that if you do not give them money they will put a curse on you.

Darjeeling's beauty is indescribable, especially for someone who stopped english class in yr 12. When it's misty it looks as if the town is in the heavens with the hills falling into white nothingness. The first clear day i was going to the toilet and opened the hostel window and was left speechless by the Himalayas. It is so nice sleeping in a cozy bed in the cold darjeeling air and every breath is even enjoyable because it is so fresh.

This is such a happy town with almost everyone in the street smiling and saying hello, Even the hundred sof street dogs look much healthier than the ones in Kolkata. Some of the volunteer girls were niceenough to organise a surprise 23rd birthday party for Tavis which was fun for all of us.

Anyone who likes listening to Pink Floyd and looking at Bob Marley pictures and a view of the Himalayan foothills while eating delicious momos or cosmic veggie soup will love the hot and stimulating cafe on the way to Darjeeling zoo. Very good atmosphere in this place.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb