Kolkata - Orientation


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » West Bengal » Kolkata » Dum Dum
February 15th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Kolkata is definitley the place to land from what I've heard about the other main cities in India. There was no culture shock to any of the 20 something volunteers. The traffic isn't so crazy and the people are not in your face. The other volunteers of lattitude are all easy going and friendly and we became close during our orientation in Kolkata. We were fortunate enough to be in Kolkata at the time of the annual Bishop's college community fair, where each country of volunteers performed a piece to the locals. Obviously we kiwis were asked to do the haka, and because neither Imogen or Fiona knew it I did the Takapuna Grammar School haka as a one man force with the girls backing me up with shaking wrists. We visited the mother Teresa house where one of the sisters was kind enough to speak with us and answer any questions. She was a very peaceful happy nun. I am so grateful for the effort and organisation Manoj and Uma have put into our orientation. To be able to visit a local's apartment and watch two, two person, plays performed (one with a west bengali tv celebrity) was a great experience that would never happen travelling as a tourist.

On the 13th we visited a local school. Radcliffe college is a building of many stories and small land area. We performed the worst rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody but hopefully the students enjoyed it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



23rd February 2012

Glad you're having such a great start to your adventure.
We are driving Joel down to Vic this weekend - a very little trip compared with yours. Excellent to read about your adventures. Keep us posted when you feel like it. The Taylors

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb