The Pyau of Life at Dhar (Altitude Moksha)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttarakhand
August 30th 2018
Published: August 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

A dwindling cobbled path crossing a primary school with chirpy voices, and a rain shelter takes you down to the village center of Dhar from Altitude Moksha. After paying reverence at the Ghandiyal devta temple, walk down the steps to discover the village "Pyau". The word "Pyau" in Hindi is any place which people use to quench their thirst and rest in the heat. Mind you this is not some ordinary pyau, this is fed by the roots of 350 year old banyan tree. Towering above the Pyauis the Ghandiyal Devta temple along with this banyan tree resplendent with prayer flags and tinkling bells.

The Pyau’s water gush out of a brass spout shaped like a lion’s mouth which was installed eighty years ago by the villagers. Water channels through a spring at the top of the mountain and collects in a natural reservoir around the roots of the Banyan tree. Enriched in minerals, it then effluxes out from the roots and makes its way in to the brass spout. According to the locals the water stays warm in the harsh winters and cool in summers due to the geothermal phenomenon at its source. You are bound to experience instant rejuvenation with a few sips of its subtle sweetness. The locals are convinced of divinity behind the Pyau’s water and it feels unfair to question their relentless faith.

The Pyau’s water is used for drinking, cooking, domestic use and all religious activities of the village. The locals traverse long distances to fetch this blessed water as they never cook their food without it. A child born in the village is offered the first sips of this water. Essentially the village life revolves around this holy water and their deity the Ghandiyal Devta. It won’t be a coincidence to stumble across a village elder ready to share anecdotes about the history of this water.

The Pyau is the spring of abundance, the spring of life from which all things beautiful emanate. No organic certification can ever capture the essence and richness of this water. I'm glad to have experienced and discovered it at Altitude Moksha, Gussain!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb