Arrival in India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh
May 1st 2010
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Car Wash!Car Wash!Car Wash!

Well, we don't get car washes like this back home. The car was spotless when we started our journey to the Indian border.
Thursday 29 April
Leaving our adopted family in Lahore one of Huma’s brothers kindly guided us to the border of India where fond farewells were said. It has been a wonderful few days in Lahore and Huma and her family could not have made us feel more at home, opening their doors to us and helping us prepare for the next few weeks of our journey to Australia.
Crossing the border was actually a quiet affair. Formalities on the Pakistan side were pretty good and on the Indian side patience by us won the day and we were in - not after a lot of paperwork that is, and some of it really unnecessary to our way of thinking but each country has its own rules - I just hope we can get out of India with all our things!
We came straight to Amritsar for the night because we had heard that the Sikh’s golden palace was won of those sights that no-one should miss. Our selected hotel, the Grand, a favourite of back-packers, is set around a lovely garden and although rooms are much to be desired, there is air conditioning. On arrival we were asked if we would
Another of Huma's family, and AbigailAnother of Huma's family, and AbigailAnother of Huma's family, and Abigail

Khalid's family with Huma's dog. Khalid kindly took us all the way to the border.
like to witness the border ceremony crossing between India and Pakistan and then go on to see the golden temple at night. So we did.
Travelling to and fro back to the border was rather tedious but to say we have seen the pomp and ceremony of the closing of the border gates was worth the trip. Much of the ceremony is in the entertainment of the crowd that gathers each night to taunt each other across the border in what can only be described as a friendly national rivalry with each side playing its own music as loudly as possible before the soldiers from each side come out to parade and march up and down to out do each other. If some of the poor quality video can be seen by readers, it should give a taste of the atmosphere at least (and it will be the first time I have loaded video for you to see).
Then onto the golden temple via a hindu temple in the city that was quite bizarre to western eyes. We had to remove shoes, don head gear, as we did with the golden temple, and then we found ourselves following a route
Huma's sister, Mira, with usHuma's sister, Mira, with usHuma's sister, Mira, with us

In Lahore the day we left.
that took us past all the various Gods they worship and the route also took us through a small tunnel and a water course!
But then the golden temple - last on the menu but what a glorious site and setting. It was stunning, mesmorizing and so atmospheric with the music being broadcast all around the square in which was this enormous lake and in the centre, reached by a small bridge sat the golden temple. Sikhs from all around the world visit this place to pay homage - John and I are returning there this morning to see it daylight we were so enchanted by it. So more later.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Arhum, with an uncleArhum, with an uncle
Arhum, with an uncle

Huma's son, he was most helpful and entertaining during our stay, and I would like to thank him for all his help while we were there.
The borderThe border
The border

Very people I suspect of late have been able to take such a photo. The security situation in Pakistan has reduced travellers to a small trickle so we felt like pioneers arriving to cross into India - we were the only ones being processed!
Relaxing after border crossingRelaxing after border crossing
Relaxing after border crossing

We just had to stop and have a coke, such was the relief of achieving another border crossing.
English speaking touristsEnglish speaking tourists
English speaking tourists

Arriving at our hotel, we met for the first time for weeks a number of guests who were all from Europe or down under.
Border closure procedureBorder closure procedure
Border closure procedure

The gathering Indian crowds
Running the flagRunning the flag
Running the flag

Many of the crowd, mostly women and children, wanted the chance of running the Indian flag at the border crossing. This almost became the spectacle to watch!
HeadgearHeadgear
Headgear

Nice headgear - I presume the fan is removed to keep him cool when not on public duties!
Crowd controlCrowd control
Crowd control

Neither I or John could believe the numbers that turned up from the Indian side to witness the closing of the border ceremony - it was like a football match, great atmosphere though.
Drill and ceremonyDrill and ceremony
Drill and ceremony

We watched with fascination for a long while. The actual event is not spectacular, but the soldiers carrying out their duty, needed to warm up beforehand by doing high kicks and splits, to ensure that on the ceremonial event itself, they could kick their legs high above their heads - a bizarre action but a great crowd pleaser.
Hindu GodsHindu Gods
Hindu Gods

After attending the border gate closure ceremony we were taken to a Hindu temple and we all thought it the most intriguing and unusual spectacle seen for a long time - this is just one of their Gods.
More GodsMore Gods
More Gods

On entering, we had to dispose of footware across the street and walk in to the temple.
WaterwayWaterway
Waterway

We even had our feet washed as we waded through a feet dip!
What do I look like!What do I look like!
What do I look like!

When you come to these very dignified and religious places its as well to come prepared. John fortunately had his tea-towel, that one of the party was just able to get tied roung his head. We all had to go bare footed and head covered to enter the golden temple.
The Golden TempleThe Golden Temple
The Golden Temple

This is the place where Sikhs from all around the world come to pay their respects. It is a wonderfully calming place where many people seek out that need for a peaceful setting to allow them to make their prayers.
Golden TempleGolden Temple
Golden Temple

We just had to have our photos taken with the temple in the background across the water.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb