Jhansi, India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

March 2, 2008

AGRA to JHANSI to KHAJURAHO, India

We took an enjoyable train ride today through the countryside for about 2 hours from Agra to Jhansi. On our arrival in Jhansi we visited Orchha Fort ( Yup, another fort ) on our way to Khajuraho. This 16th century fort was another built for a Maharaja and he also built a palace for a Mogul Emperor to keep on the good side of a would be enemy. After a while the forts all look the same. There are very interesting differences in the type of detail ( carvings, finish ) and in the style depending on the time period and the tastes of the builders.

Our adventure really took an interesting turn today with a, to quote Alice, "a very stressful 5 hour drive to Khajuraho". This was something between a would be figure 8 demolition derby and a game of chicken on a very bad road. Most of the road is more or less paved but in bad condition and it seemed like about ½ of it was under construction leaving one lane for 2 way traffic. Traffic is busses, cars, Ox Carts, horse carts, semis, tractors and farm implements, motorcycles, bicycles, pedestrians and of course about 15 cows on the road per kilometer. Everyone in the world should take this trip just for this adventure. It is really unbelievable the way people drive and surprising that there are little to no accidents ( that we saw ) and no “road rage”. You have all probably heard about the driving in India. Believe me it’s all they say it is and worse. But, we arrived safe and sound in the city of Khajuraho before dinner time. Actually the trip was very interesting as we passed through many ( too many ) small villages and farmland during the trip.

It is still, after a week or so in India, a little bit of a surprise to see how the rural Indian people live and work compared to what we are used to in Canada.

Tonight we went to see a “very artsy” classical dance festival. Not what we were expecting. Almost a ballet type of presentation. Very nice I guess if you’re into that but we were expecting more of a folk dance festival.

Khajuraho is a very small village of a few thousand people that, it appears to be, is surviving on a thriving tourist visit. Khajuraho is very famous for its Hindu Temple complexes and in particular for the carved Kama Sutra carvings throughout the temples.

Should be an interesting day tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb