The Ganges, Yoga and answers for John Stone (leader of the red Love) and others


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
February 1st 2005
Published: February 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Bean bathed in the holy Ganges yesterday. So far he hasn't become infected or anything. If he does get sick from it, he has asked me to tie a weight to his foot and push him out into the river like they do the diseased who have died. Supposedly if you die in Varanasi you will automatically reach moksa (salvation), so this is the best place to die. We took a evening Yoga course with one of the local teachers. This was my first experience with yoga. We did breathing exercises, chanting, postures, laughing and meditation. I enjoyed it and I think we will do some more classes while we are here and I may continue in the states. And to John: I haven't found direct equivalents to santa and the tooth fairy, as in bringing gifts and such. But everyone believes that Krishna walked the earth, along with many other avatars of the many gods. And the children don't seem to grow out of it. The older the you get the more you believe, unlike we hethens in the states. We talked to a swami and he thought that it was impossible for scientists to see the truth. So I think there is a resentment towards the sciences. But there have been a few authors who combine them both, like in the Dao of Physics book. Haven't noticed any social anxiety, but I guess those people would just be hiding somewhere. I think it is impossible to have that here. Everyone grows up with some many people around that it doesn't become a problem. Everyone pees outside and most people crap outside too. Haven't seen any trained monkeys. I have only seen one person holding a monkey. The rest are wild. No dancing at abortions yet. I think they keep those on the down-low. Aniket: We sang Hindi songs with him and english songs. Dhoom a chayla will be stuck in my head forever. To matt: the only tsunami affects we have seen are donation boxes, we have only been in the unaffected north. TO emily: we've been in cheap hotels so far. Hopefully we will stay in a monastery in the next city: Bodhgaya. TO Adam: we have found the kama sutra texts. They have wonderful paintings.

Advertisement



2nd February 2005

Sounds like your trip has been an awesome experience. Evertyhing your doing seems like it has been planned ahead of time, but magically falling into place as you go. I just caught up to your last journal entry. I can't wait to see your pictures. By the way, found a Buddha to bring home to your cousin-in-law. - Your cousin
3rd February 2005

why didnt you bath in the ganges?
you know, england is lovely too. and owned india. you should come visit on your way home. i am glad you are doing this. so i can hear all about it. stay safe. and keep shitting outside. i can imagine it is a freeing experience. - erin ganey
3rd February 2005

Keep sending the journals. Love reading them and see what you two are doing. When I read the one about you two dancing I could see it from here. Did you teach them your red love dance moves? Be safe and have fun and can't wait to hear from you again soon. Ellen - Auntie Ellen

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb