the ganges, being waited on, french boys, the best lassi in all of india, sexual harrassment


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
June 22nd 2005
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

june 22

saw floating bodies today. mortality so close at hand. just another day's work. were held hostage on a boat with two french boys. we like the french boys - they have our sense of humor and we all constantly just make fun of each other. nice to spend the morning with them. our boy dil, (who is 24, lo and behold), is also one of my favorite people in this city (besides my lovely travelling companion, of course). he always has a mischievous look about him. and he waits on us hand and foot. it's so strange to have our every whim catered to.

dirty diana playing here. hmmm see a sign about cd burning from a camera memory card. might need to invest in that.

time for banana chocolate fritters and other such indian delicacies. heh.


*********

june 23

this morning our french boys, samuel and lawr, took us out for the best lassis in all of india. little hole in the wall where they throw slabs of curd on blocks of ice while mixing the rest of it, served in clay pots, thick and cold and only 10 RS each.
rosewaterrosewaterrosewater

ahhh putting the final touches of rosewater on the top of the creamy goodness in a clay pot
lovely.

haha angel you'll appreciate this! you know the commercial that's on tv ALL the time -- the gist is that it's something about how you're a name, not just a number. starts off in a locker room with the name "samir" and then moves on and there are boys who're jumping for a soccer ball and they have names on their jerseys instead of numbers and then it moves to a movie theater with "raj" as a name... know which commercial i'm talking about? haha well samuel and lawr are two of the soccer boys! they were in mumbai and were asked if they wanted to be in a bollywood film, and then it turned out to be that commercial instead! i think lawr is the one on the far left (long dark hair) named "bob" and samuel is in the middle with a brown curly pony-tail. ha! they told us that last night and we knew EXACTLY what they were talking about. hahah they had it saved on their camera! anyway, very cool guys. might possibly be what arielle and i would be like if we were french... and male.

*********

june 24

we
making yogurt - indian stylemaking yogurt - indian stylemaking yogurt - indian style

steaming wok of thick creamy yogurtee goodness
have a plan for the next time either of us is sexually harrassed. arielle will throw me her bag and take off after them because she's faster. whoever was harrassed gets to shout and/or physically assult the offender once caught. the other is there to hold two things - 1) the bags and 2) the offender while the other berates / bashes him.

hopefully these tactics won't need to be employed anytime soon.

the lizards everywhere make me think of bryn mawr.


**********

june 25

shopping for silk is exhausting. bed covers? we don't have an apartment yet, let alone beds....





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

lassi family!lassi family!
lassi family!

the lassi shop extended family


Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb