Sleeper Train and Varanasi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
January 28th 2008
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Sleeper train - okay nowhere near as bad as we were imagining. A bit cramped, quite cold (we didn't really have adequate bedding) but on the whole for the money we payed it was a smooth journey, got no hassle on the train, felt safe and -appart from the 10 minute intervals of squarking tea men walking up and down the carriages chanting and hoping to sell tea coffee - fairly quiet. In fact we had quite a laugh in the end as we met a nice Australian/English couple who were sleeping on the bunks above us - who are emigrating back to England - in fact Bristol at the end of their travels.

Got a few photos of Dale dressed up trying to avoid the cold on the train - Virgin Atlantic complimentaty flight socks on his hands as gloves provided amusement to the English/Australian Couple - my pink scarf wrapped round him and the trousers tuked into his socks. Got a snap for memories sake!

Arrival in Varanasi was later than expected - closer to 12noon than the anticipated 8.15m. We got a hotel pick up from the train station which saved hassle. Must admit the hostel was at the end of a load of winding tight passages covered in dog pooh - very nearly wanted to turn around and go back. Anyway - soooo glad we didn't - the hotel has the most amazing view over the Ganges from both sides, and we have a balcony just outside our bedroom to admire it from.

This evening we went (with the Australian/English couple) to the burning Ghat just below by the Ganges - it was dark and they were performing the cremations and ceremonies so it was very eerie but the guys had booked a guide from their hostel to take us round. We were taken to a hospice where they are caring for the dying who have no family - there we gave them a donation and then carried on down to were the ceremonies are performed. They are happy for people to watch - no crying - just chanting and lots of rituals - they try to create good 'Karma' for the bodies to be cremated too. Unfortunately no photography was allowed which is understandable but a shame as it was the most fascinating site we have seen so far.

After this we needed a beer! We headed to a restaurant overlooking the Ganges and ordered a meal and relaxed before bed. Now we have to prepare for another early start - a 6am boat ride across the Ganges to watch the sunrise.

Advertisement



29th January 2008

Hiya Dale & Bella
Sounds like you're both having an amazing time! Looking forward to seeing more pics. I'm going back to work next week and I'm really looking forward to it! Mum and everyone else are all very well, infact mum seems to be getting much better. She's always asking after you both wanting to know if I've heard from you. I always fill her in on your blog. Anyway glad to know you're both well and safe. Pete :) xx

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb