Varanasi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Varanasi
December 23rd 2017
Published: December 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Having had a 10 hour drive to get here, all we really wanted was a shower and a stretch. Everyone else went off for a orientation tour, I just wanted to stay close to the bathroom. The good thing about Varanasi is that as a holy city it is alcohol free, good for a detox. The bad thing about Varanasi is its alcohol free.

An early start next day, to drive out of the city and get boats to sail down the Ganges. When we arrived at a small mud bank, we were told that as a holy river there are no toilets, or any chance to have a " happy" break, so go off behind the bushes. Given that they throw bodies into this river, cows wander its edges, how can a quick pee defile it? It's amazing when anyone says there are no more toilets, you start to panic. I don't like taking Imodium, but decided now was the time.

We were in three boats, and as soon as we set off, we discovered we had the drunk crew member, they tried to keep him under the blankets, but he was having none off that. A quick transfer and he was laid out in the Kitchen boat. After 4 hours, the Imodium gave up the ghost, and I had to ask to get to the bank. Felt really sorry for our poor crew of 1, who was rowing, sailing, steering ( his fellow crew member sleeping it off), who now had to change course and get me to the bank. Glad I did though, it was another 2 hours before they chose a suitable sand bank for us to camp on for the night. It was getting dark, but our guide wanted to set up a game of cricket, but we kept losing the ball in the dark.

Can't believe to food that these guys were able to cook up, it was really great, and we sat by a campfire while they sat up our tents. Find it really difficult to sit back and let these guys do all the work, but our guide explained they would never let a " senior" do things - don't know whether to be insulted or pleased!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.1mb