Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, bazaars and Keoladeo Ghana National Park


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
February 18th 2014
Published: April 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Needless to say that the visit to the Taj Mahalwas one of the highlights of our trip. I can tell you that it was not a disappointment indeed! What an excitement to see one of the most beautiful buildings of the world with my own eyes. These experiences are the reasons why I travel.

The best time to visit the Taj Mahal is early in the morning when the sun is rising. At that moment you can see color change of the marble. There was some fog the morning when we wanted to go, so we visited the Taj around noon. If you see pictures of the Taj Mahal, you can't imagine that the surroundings are so big. You pass a gate and gardens before you can see the Taj Mahal. There are two mosques besides the Tajal Mahal. There are two routes to the Taj Mahal: one -long route- for the "General ticket holders" and a -short- route for the "High value ticket holders". This was not the first time in India when we noticed these differences...

The Taj Mahal was built by Shah Jahan as a memorial for his third wife. So it must have been a torture for him that he was put under house arrest by his son Aurangzeb at the Agra Fort, from where he could see the Taj Mahal. After the dead of Shah Jahan, he was buried in the mausoleum next to his wife. It is an impressive fort. Inside there were beautiful flowers. Our local guide told us that in the ancient days there were crocodiles in the canals defending the fort.

As elsewhere on our trip in India, the bazaars were full of life. Camels, monkeys, honking, hundreds of electrical wires, cycle-rickshaws,... You name it! Funny to see the warning in our hotel: "Don't open the window because of the monkeys"

A nice change for the crowded environment was the visit of the Keoladeo Ghana National Park. With the help of a guide, we explored the park on a bicycle. Though we didn't see a cobra (apparently there are cobra's in the park), we managed to see a boa constrictor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Beware of the monkeysBeware of the monkeys
Beware of the monkeys

Hotel in India
BazaarBazaar
Bazaar

Agra


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb