dehli and agra blog


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
August 7th 2008
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again, we ended up staying in Delhi longer than we wanted to because we had to wait over the weekend to get our Vietnam visa. We would have left a lot earlier if it wasn’t for that. Even though it is the capital there is not a lot to do in Delhi and the area where the backpackers stay which is where we stayed is an armpit of a place each end of the street you had to walk through a metal detector and be patted down by police before you could walk down the street we lived in.

Because we had time to kill in Delhi we decided to do a sight seeing tour with a rickshaw guy that helped us find the Vietnam embassy. The tour was really boring looking at buildings and a house where a dead president called Indra Ghandi lived before she was killed in 1984, apparently she was a bit of a big deal. The best part of the tour was stumbling across a snake charmer who with his flute charmed the snake he then tried to get amount 6-7 pound out of us for taking a photo, I was going to give him a bit of money for taking a photo because that’s the protocol in India but when he tried to intimidate us into giving that much for two photo’s I decided to not give him anything at all and walked away with my two photo’s.

The next con we had to over come was the rickshaw driver who took us on the tour, we agreed a price for the tour the day before of 200 rupee’s each. When the tour ended he said that would be 1200 rupee’s each, some people are actually a bit more creative with there cons but this guy just basically lied. But with me and Mika now being experience travelers we new that 200 was a very low price and that he would ask for more, so we just made shore that we had the exact money 400 rupee’s and that is all he got.

The next altercation came from the hotel we stayed in, we asked for a room for 350 rupee’s and then where shown a room for 350. We signed in then said he wanted to move us to another room; we hit the jackpot we where in a room with air conditioning and cable TV. The next day they asked us to move rooms again but this room we would have to pay 450 rupee’s. we flat out stood our ground and said no way we are moving room and paying more, I think the guy realized the mistake that he put us in a room for 350 with ac and cable TV and tried to make up for it. But there was no ay we where going to leave the room so the hotel staff ended up getting coned by us.

Today we visited the taj mahal in agra, I actually managed to wake up at 5.30am to go to the taj mahal which was everything I expected it to be and got some good photo’s.
We are only in agra for one more day because once you have done the ta mahal that is it here really. So we have a train for vranassi on Friday and then we are of to Nepal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



11th December 2009

Nice!
Really nice experience sharing! Trisha http://www.kayasthasangam.com

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb