A Glimpse of Splendour


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 20th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nov 17 to Nov 19

From Agra India "Namaste" (again in Hindi)
To live in India, the world’s largest democracy, one must have both patience and a sense of humour. That might be why we feel like we’re in the middle of a Peter Sellers’ movie (or in downtown Toronto).

Agra, with a population of two and a half million, is considered just a small town by Indian standards in this country of one and a half billion. Tourism is the mainstay of the city of Agra's economy. The ancient trades plied here (since the 11th century) of leather shoe making, marble inlay work and carpet weaving are still practised in the same traditional manner, but no new industries have been allowed for fear of more pollution harming the existing monuments..(with the exception of maybe a few call centres?

From our hotel rooftop lookout we had our first magical glimpse of the grandeur of the Taj Mahal.

The next day our tour began with a tonga ride to the Taj Mahal. These “taxis” are traditonal horse drawn carts. Our horse was in a bad mood and required one driver plus another “handler” to keep the horse on
Three GenerationsThree GenerationsThree Generations

Shot this wonderful grouping on a street near the Taj
course. The street scene is colourful and lively. (Note to Michael and Harvey----these are not the words you would have used to describe the scene).

The Taj Mahal is a tribute to love. Here’s the story: Shah Jahan, the fifth and last emperor was the richest ruler of his time. His wife and he were inseparable lovers. She often accompanied him on campaigns. They were married for 18 years during which time she bore 14 children and had 3 miscarriages. In 1630, she died during a 30-hour labour at the age of 38yrs. Before she died she expressed her last wish to the Shah to build a beautiful and incomparable monument over her grave as a token of their worldly inseparable love. In India they say that the Shah “loved her to death”.
In 1631 he began construction of the monument and the other 24 buildings on 50 acres, which took 22 years to complete. The Shah never called it the Taj Mahal. That name evolved because the European tongue could not pronounce the Indian name which translates as "Tomb of Mahal"--a tomb for his most adored wife, Mumtaz Mahal, the 2nd and favourite of his 3 wives.
Tonga ride to the tajTonga ride to the tajTonga ride to the taj

Our horse got up on the wrong side of the cart today
He also had 3,000 other women in his harem so she must have been something special.
Before she died, she extracted two promises from her husband. The first was that she be buried in Agra near her family home. The 2nd promise made to her was that he wouldn’t remarry. He kept his word……..but he still had those 3000 harem girls.
With great wealth and power, the Shah had his architects create “A Paradise on Earth”.
A total of 50,000 craftsmen and labourers worked on the construction. Obviously his wife never saw his monument of love. Of note is the sad end of the love story. The emperor’s son seized power, imprisoned his father in a cell with a view of his beloved wife’s tomb, which broke the Shah's heart. He died in prison.

A fine white marble called Macrana (native to India) was utilized for its strength and durablility. Lindsay, having sculpted in marble, was impressed with the quality of the work, and appreciated the difficult task it must have been to carve this very dense hard stone.
The layout of the Taj complex, aptly called “a dream in marble” is perfectly proportioned, balanced and absolutely symmetrical. It is a glistening, ethereal, majestic treasure and the effect on us was powerful-----a very special sight that does not fall short of one’s expectations.
Though we had just a short glimpse of India, (in fact, just a tease), for many of our fellow travellers it was enough to take away a mixed memory --- many developed “Delhi Belly”, un unfortunate souvenir, that will not be cherished.

Our departure from Agra became an “agra”-vating experience as we were kept for 3 and a half hours on the tarmac, due to what appeared as incompetence, bureaucracy and corruption, (A paltry sum in the form of a cash bribe seemed to clear the runway---- finally).

In spite of all the issues, Lindsay is still determined to return to actually see India, and MaryEllen says never again. (well maybe on a cruise)

We can’t describe too much else, since we had only one day here, but some of the photos will speak for themselves.

We say “Main chalta hoon” to India, and head off to the “hot destination” of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.





Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

NamasteNamaste
Namaste

We were given marigold leis on arrival
Young girls Young girls
Young girls

We loved the colours of their saris
Man washing his feet...Man washing his feet...
Man washing his feet...

.....in front of the outdoor public urinals
Near the main entranceNear the main entrance
Near the main entrance

One of the many buildings
Ready for BollywoodReady for Bollywood
Ready for Bollywood

This beautiful lady posed for us
Making good use of the Krama /ShmataMaking good use of the Krama /Shmata
Making good use of the Krama /Shmata

Some of the smells and pollution knocked us over


25th November 2007

WOW
Thank you so much for including me. I look for your emails daily and can feel your excitement and enthusiasm.It makes me feel almost like I am travelling with you: this is better that any TV serial. Wishing you both a safe journey and lost of KM moments. You will be telling stories for months to come. Love Rhoda
29th November 2007

I love your senses of humour
Glad to see you still have it after being 3 weeks on the road. Everything looks incredible - what amazing wonders of the world you are seeing- thanks for sharing it with everyone. Love your commentaries too. We are having a ball ourselves - ME thanks for your email. Lots of pinch me moments - we are all very verY blessed - especially when we see how a lot of the rest of the world lives! Love to you both Ruthie

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb