Finally - The Taj Mahal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
September 28th 2005
Published: April 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Before I came to India I decided that no matter what, even if I hate it enough to run away after one day, there’s one place I won’t miss: The Taj Mahal.
The day came, we took an organized tour, woke up before 6AM to get on the way (200km, this time only 4 hours because the roads are good :-), and went to visit Agra, the city of Taj.

The first site we visited was Sikandra - the tomb of Akbar, one of the emperors of this part of India in the past (in the Mughal period, if you really wanted to know). The gate building is very impressive with 4 towers on top, more impressive than the tomb building inside. Inside the tomb building it’s not well preserved, but you can see remnants of the past beauty.

And then we went to the real thing: the Taj Mahal. We were taken very close to the gate, which was really a good way to overcome all the touts outside. Passed the security, crossed the gate building (nice, but who cares about it now) and there it is, just in front of us, with all its beauty and glory: The Taj. It’s really beautiful. I lack words to describe it.
Perfection. That’s it.
The white marble, the design, the decoration inside - not too many, not too extravagant.
The location on the river (which could be nicer in a nicer place, but still nice for India).
The beautiful garden in front.
Perfection.
Beauty.

We got an hour and 15 minutes to spend there and they passed so quickly without doing much, just enjoying the place.

After lunch we went to Agra fort, which I don’t have much to say about, except that the view on the Taj from the fort is beautiful.

It was a really long day, we got to Delhi just before midnight, dead tired, but it was one of the best days here, and the Taj Mahal is one of the best attraction of my entire travel. Don’t miss it!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Not tired? Taj with Daphna and meNot tired? Taj with Daphna and me
Not tired? Taj with Daphna and me

Did you notice that Daphna is wearing an Indian outfit? She is so connecting!
Sikandra, tomb of Akbar - the gate buildingSikandra, tomb of Akbar - the gate building
Sikandra, tomb of Akbar - the gate building

The gate was more impressive than the internal building of the tomb itself
We are popularWe are popular
We are popular

These girls wanted a picture with us. I felt too tired and sweaty to model for a picture... but took to photo opprtunity as well


Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb