Agra Day 1


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
September 23rd 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After the eventful hospital expierence we left Jalgaon and our doctor with the promise of prompt payment of the remainder of our hospital bill from the insurance(yeah bleedin right!!!!). The insurance company told us not to pay any more as they would sort(use to scamming doc's) and the owner of the plaza hotel was disgusted at the price of the bill. The doctor even got a surgeons opinion just for the craic. So we left our hotel and the hotel owner who was the nicest person we have met in India so far(although i never got his name). He was a great guy though.

Caught a 15 hour overnight train to Agra which was great(apart from the weirdo attendant who kept pulling the curtain of our cabin open everytime he walked by) considering we thought it was suppose to be 20 hours. Dont think the freak was trying to get a glimpse of my booty!!!

Got to the Shanti Lodge hotel which was nice enough for 8 quid(after we switched rooms from the smelly hole with no light and scummy sheets and bathroom). No mossies so that was great. We agreed that we would forget about a nap and catch the Taj Mahal at sunset across the Yahuma river.

Caught the rickshaw with our driver VK to the hotel who was sound enough and had excellent english. He advised us to ignore everyone when near the sites in Agra as the agressivness and junk the touts sell are nearly as famous as the Taj. You cant leave your hotel without at least 3 or 4 drivers surrounding you and shouting at you even when you want to only walk to the shops.

Got around to the viewpoint and its spectactular and as the guide book says the photos just dont do it justice(obviously!!). Got hassled the hole time we were there by children peddling postcards to camel rides. Gave one funny little kid a few ruppees who had great english and took some photos for us(had my sandles off ready to chase him if he ran, although i would have had a free camel if he had). Finally had to tell them get lost to get a little peace as if there not selling anything the will resort to begging. Thats the price you pay in India for the brilliant things you see i guess.

And as the photo shows, although the food was amazing(about 2 euro for a huge and tasty meal) there wasnt much to do at night, except connect 4!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb