Baptism of fire


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
September 7th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Oh my god! Never thought we'd get out of Delhi. On more than 3 occasions, the local hawks, fronting for dodgy travel agents where you get the pleasure of paying at least twice the going rate, tried to steer us away from the foreign ticket office where we wanted to buy our train ticket to Agra to get the hell out of Delhi. Most tried the 'you don't want to go down there, most dangerous. Full of crooks and prostitutes.' route and told us it would be far better to travel with a personal driver - but we were quoted 300 GBP each for transport through India alone this way. The final attempt involved us being stopped at the bottom of the stairs to the foreign ticket office by a cart and respectable looking man saying the office is closed. One shove later we got a seat with a/c and got fed on the train for peanuts.
Delhi is by far the dirtiest, smelliest, noisiest, busiest, hottest, most crooked city we've been to and the traffic even beats Naples for chaos.
So we left for Agra yesterday morning and last night visited the spectacular Taj Mahal. Security was confusing. Head scarves, Ipods and playing cards most definitely not allowed. Maybe guns, knives etc are ok?
We're leaving Agra tonight and heading for Jaipur.......

Will upload some pictures in a internet room soon that doesn't double for a sauna.

On a positive note, it's great to have started!

Take care - The Millsys



Advertisement



7th September 2007

Greetings from Hook
Hi Ruth and David. Its good to hear that you are on your way. I am a little disappointed though as you are three days in and no update from Ruth on what you have eaten so far! Looking forward to seeing the first pictures and wish you fun in Jaipur. Open mouth kisses to you from Josie x p.s. David sadly the house is not in the pristine condition you left it in (are you surprised?!)
7th September 2007

Delhi
Prostitutes??! What's wrong with that? Sounds like a mad start, hope you took your Top Trumps with you, you'll have no security issues with them... Cheers! gav
9th September 2007

and they're off!
I bet it feels great to finally get started. I was suprised that the first leg of the tour didn't start in France though, David have you heard its the Rugby World Cup this September? I know what you mean about being pestered on arrival. I went to Whitby on Friday, the competition for your Fish and Chips custom is cut throat! Enjoy yourselves, lets have some photos soon. Rob

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb