What can I say about India????


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Agra
November 15th 2006
Published: November 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Check out this biker!Check out this biker!Check out this biker!

Try this out at home!
Without crying........

Ok, so we're back! Tina is with me, writing this blog! Nice to have the company and the help.

We had a 5 hour flight from Cambodia; it was quite pleasant. The crew were all smiles in their purchases from Cambodia! Tim and John, part of our group, were celebrating a birthday. We arrived mid-day and what a blessing because we virtually had the airport to ourselves!!!!! Billions of people live here, so you can appreciate that was a miracle for us!!!! And it's HOT here!!!! (quit smirking, those of you who know me and how I feel about the heat!).

From the airport to our bus, and then a 5 hour drive to Agra (hey, now Anne's here to help too!). We're surprised we survived the ride! But what an eye-opener!!!!!! We were happy to travel part way in the dark. The sights were sad, gruesome, and dirty, and soooooooo many people. The traffic was different: elephants, camels, scooters, cars, trucks, bikes, people on foot, cows, dogs,.........and so on! All on the same road as us!!!!!! And the honking and tooting was deafening! That's the way they do it here! (recommendation: if India and/or the
Kevin, "the day after"Kevin, "the day after"Kevin, "the day after"

He partied hard the night before......and here's how he handled the flight to India.
Taj Mahal is on your list of places to see, do it with a tour group because you wouldn't want to be doing this alone!).

We got to the hotel (Kate, it's beautiful, big, bright, clean, and the staff are at your service!). My room (and Leona's) is not quite on the same scale as Tina's but then again, I'm not outside sleeping on the street/sidewalk either! No complaints! It's all good!!!!! The bed is comfy, the shower is perfect, and the food.........ahhhh, the food! I'm in my (curry) glory!!

So, it was off to bed and up for an early rise. Breakfast was great. Then off to the Taj Mahal. This was Lorraine's dream trip of a lifetime (she's part of our group)! The pictures say it all! And I will add that it was serene, breath-taking and a sight to behold! We spent a fair bit of time there. Then we went to a factory where we saw how marble tables and stuff were made (inlaid gemstones). The marble from here is indestructible and non-porous. Some major purchases were made by the group (not ME!).

Back to the hotel for lunch. Yum! I had lamb,
Coming into IndiaComing into IndiaComing into India

Interesting geography here
noodles, rice, bread pudding (yummmmmmmmm......), naan bread, a chicken dish and beer! Yummmmmmmmmm! Interesting story at lunch today, from our guide Elvira: she was commenting that last night when we made a pit stop along the highway, when we were in the washrooms, there was a woman handing out toilet paper (to make a living). She lives in that washroom 24 hours/day and this is how she survives.......on our token dollars. Elvera gave her $1.00US and the woman began to cry (that was enough money to feed her family for a month probably). Elvera also began to cry and gave her another $1US! The woman then wanted to kiss her feet, in gratitude! I wanted to add this story to give all of you perspective on the experience we are having here! It is humbling.

Then we went shopping to a high scale shopping area ("the house")......carpets, jewellery, silk, etc. We were given a demonstration on the hand made rugs woven from silk and wool. Very interesting. One carpet in particular (see picture below) took 2 women 6 years to make by hand!!!! The price is $15,000US!! I wanted to ask the question, how much were those women paid??????
Coming into DelhiComing into DelhiComing into Delhi

That's the city down below the smog!
But I didn't think it was the right time nor place. I think I know the answer anyway.

From there, back to the hotel for some quiet time (which is why we are huddled in the Business Center doing this for all of you!).

Tonight we leave for another hotel (sorry, Kate!) to have a dinner/pool party. More info and pictures on that tomorrow as time permits. We leave for Delhi in the morning and will be staying at the Maurya Sheraton Hotel. I think we will have some free time in the afternoon so you will then get Part 2 of India.

Can't really describe in words what the last 24 hours have been like. The pictures will say it all!

Happy Pat (and Tina, and Anne, and the rest of the blog gang!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Cows really are everywhere!Cows really are everywhere!
Cows really are everywhere!

Cows, elephants, scooters, ......it's all out there on the road!
A street vendorA street vendor
A street vendor

Not only is the traffic everywhere, but so are the street vendors!
Squeezing sugar cane for the liquidSqueezing sugar cane for the liquid
Squeezing sugar cane for the liquid

They're working their butts off, right alongside the traffic
This is where and how many of them live!This is where and how many of them live!
This is where and how many of them live!

These "homes" are everywhere along the road.
The Happy crewThe Happy crew
The Happy crew

They are awesome!
TrafficTraffic
Traffic

It wasn't really that bad but I wouldn't want to be driving in it!
Cows, cows, cowsCows, cows, cows
Cows, cows, cows

They are sacred and they are everywhere (they want to be)!
Me, Ben and RandyMe, Ben and Randy
Me, Ben and Randy

On the bus to the airport in Cambodia


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 70; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb