Rice Pudding


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu
January 14th 2017
Published: January 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Not the best rice pudding...Not the best rice pudding...Not the best rice pudding...

My attempt at making Pongal did not go well. I'm sure I'll give it another go... possibly with some different rice.
Today I began the festival of Thai Pongal.

Thai Pongal is the first day of the month of Tamil month of Thai. The Tamil calander is used is Tamil Nadu, India, Puducherry, and by Tamil populations in Malaysia, Singapore, Mauritius and Sri Lanka. It is used primarily for cultural, religious and agricultural events. The calender is based on a lunisolar calendar, and has a sixty-year cycle that marks when Saturn and Jupiter come to the same position after 60 years. The festival itself marks the start of the sun's six-month journey northwards and matches the Indic solstice when the sun enters the house of Capricorn. No, I've not quite got my head around it either.

Thai Pongal corresponds to Makara Sankranthi - a winter festival that is celebrated throughout India. It is for the appreciation of the sun god for a successful harvest. Part of the celebration is the boiling of rice (which I have done today) and consecrate it the sun. The festival is so that farmers can give thanks to the spirits of nature, the sun and the farm animals for their assistance. Others will give thanks to the farmers for producing food.

The name 'Thai
Kolam inTamil NaduKolam inTamil NaduKolam inTamil Nadu

(sources from google)
Pongal' comes from the word of the month it is celebrated in, Thai, and the word for 'boiling over' - Pongal. Pongal is also a sweet rice dish that is usually eaten. The food symbolises the gradual heating of the earth as the sun heads back north.

The Pongal rice dish is made in the garden by heating milk and allowing the bubbles to overflow the pan. fresh rice is added, then nuts and fruit. It is served in a banana leaf. A moment is taken to pray before the food is eaten. Even though each family will have their own Pongal, part of the festivities include visiting neighbours and friends to have some of their Pongal.

Tamilians will decorate their homes with banana and mango leaves and draw Kolams on the floor.

Thai Pongal is described as a 'festival of freedom, peace, unity and compassion'* Families have reunions and and old rivalries are put to rest. It is a day of reconciliation.



Continuing the Thai Pongal festival tomorrow, Maatu Pongal - Feed the crows, decorate my farm animals, and pray for my brother.



*http://www.pongalfestival.org/thai-pongal.html

Advertisement



Tot: 0.41s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb