wham, bam, thankyou mam! - The Indian Healthcare system, Madurai and Thekkady


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Virudhunagar
July 18th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Vannakam!

So 2 weeks have gone by in a flash since i last wrote a blog. Apologies, between having my fingers in an infected foot and watching babies being born I have not had the time to come online.

They past two weeks have been incredible at my placement. I have learnt an incredible amount of information from the 3 doctors who run the hospital. I have seen people on the brink of death and babies coming out into the world for their first breath.

The hospital is located in a tiny town called Virudhunagar. It is not a tourist town, in fact I think there has only been approximately 200 non-indians that have been here on the placement. It great, a place that has not become westernised, a place where everybody will stop and try to talk to you and a place that you feel safe in.

We are living above the hospital in an apartment that was built especially for the volunteers. Our day consists of rounds in the morning, rounds at night and surgeries inbetween. I have seen everything from tuberculosis to rectal cancer to an inordinate amount of diabetes patients. The worst was seeing a little girl about 8 who tried to commmit suicide by drinking pesticide, she was in the ICU of the hospital and was then rushed to Madurai when the doctors thought she was going to need a ventilator. We are not sure if she survived or not.

Its amazingly interesting seeing how the health care system works here, doctors generally work from 9 till 1 then 5 till 8, during that time they will see patients, admit them to the hospital or take them to a mini operating theatre where the slice open the abscess right there. Wham, Bam thnkyou mam. little paperwork and the patient goes home happy.

There are a lot of children roaming the halls when their parents are in the hospital. We have had 3 of them following us on rounds for the past week and we play hide and seek with them when we are waiting for the doctors. We also have daily visits from 3 other little kids who will stand at our door and blow kisses to us before running off. Makes my heart melt 😊

I am living with three other girls, three of us get along great but one of the other ones, im not so sure why she came to India. Here is why:

1. She brought 36kgs of luggage with her for 2 months
2. she brought 60 pairs of underwear with her because "she didnt want to wash her clothes in the water here is case there are bugs" Uhh it is the same water you are washing yourself with everyday.
3. She screams at people to stop staring at her because she is white.
4. We stopped for tea after a weekend away and she refused to sit on the steps next to some older gentlemen who offered the seat to us.
5. We have a cook that does all of our meals she wont try any of it and eats crackers all day and then complains about why she is always sick.

Had to have a rant, sorry.

I have been to Madurai for a weekend which is a hell of a lot more busy than virudhunagar, It sort of felt weird being in a big city after only being here for such a small amount of time. I will tell you this, if you go to the palace for the "light show" it is NOT worth it. The palace is incredible though so do try to visit it.

Be aware of the guides at the big temple, the speak very good english but after the tour will drag you to their favourite shops outside

Thekkady is absolutely beautiful. Up in the jungle the whole place is basically covered in leaves. If you get a chance, the tiger reserve boat trip, although not to eventful provides you with some breathtaking views. The also have a chocolate shop, which is heavenly when you havent had it for 3 weeks! There are massive tea plantations and spice gardens as well, which are great and again beautiful.

That all for this week!

Much Love
Frozen Raspberries

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb