To Tanjore


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Thanjavur
February 1st 2008
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After two days at Mamalapuram we had a long day driving to Tanjore. Believe it or not our host Chindi is a poor coach rider as she gets carsick! And our day was complicated by a broken fan belt on the coachs’ air-conditioner. Bring a Chinese style hand fan as south India is hot and humid! Then the “highway” deteriorated into a Land Rover type road for a couple of hours that was pretty trying.

Passed salt making ponds on our way to Pondicherrry where Gandhi seems to be revered. Stopped for a French coffee and to stock up on some liquor before heading towards dry Kerala. However we did stop at a Brahmin estate turned into a resort where we had a vegetarian thali lunch. Just like in Vancouver there was a film crew shooting a movie getting in everyone’s way. However we saw a very nice demonstration of pot throwing. Then onto another huge Tempe to the God Shiva where Nathan Fong, the Vancouver food stylist and chef who is traveling with us broadcasting shows home, got playful with the breasts of a temple goddess much to our young guides embarrassment. Then off to a silk weaving village where we watched them weaving in and bought a couple of silk saris. Finally checked in to the Ideal River Hotel in Tangore which has an old French feel to it. Beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Kim and ChindiKim and Chindi
Kim and Chindi

Guess what she is holding so tightly?


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb