Quick hello from France


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Puducherry
February 7th 2009
Published: February 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Aliright so im not in France, but this as close as one can get in India. Ponducherry is a charming smaller (only 1 million) town that still reflects it's French colonial history. The architecture, food, books and french language presence lend a European feel that is skewed to India by honking tuktuks and men peeing one the streets.(halmarks of India!)
We spent the morning on a very hot beach on the bay of Bengal and an afternoon of navigating the only moderately chaotic streets and shops. I confess to having given up early and retiring to the peace of the hotel courtyard with an iced coffee and novel. The book I picked up at a book sales last night where the were selling hundreds of 'surplus' american books for 150 rupees...about $ 3.75 ... About the same as at home! Haha. There is definitely tourist pricing and with the prevelance of travellers in ponducherry Im certain this sale was intended for us vs the locals. Tonight is dinner at our French hotel as I think everyone is looking forward to a European styled meal. The idian food has been absolutly delishious, but 3x a day for 2 weeks leaves us yearning diversity.
This is being typed on my itouch so will be short and full of spelling/gramar mishaps. Tomorrow we head back to Chenni for one more night and the group tour portion is over. Lots of great plans for the next few weeks.. More to come!
Peace
J-Jen


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb