The Joys of Bus Travel


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Puducherry
June 29th 2008
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back to a standing position the train arrived early. We made our way to the bus station of two bicycle rickshaws and boarded a bus immediately. The chaps placed our bags right at the front by the driver and we assumed our positions. Unknown to us, the bags were on the conductors seat and when we got going he was less than pleased that he couldn't sit down. So he told us to move to the back, which went down equally aswell. I went ahead of David and as he picked up his rucksack the driver pulled off. This catapaulted David down onto his derriere in not to pretty a manner. None to impressed by this unceremonious act, henceforth a tirade of olde anglo saxon language was directed towards the driver, in the sure and sound knowledge that all barr me would understand the true depth of meaning of Davids feelings at that exact moment!

Having decamped to the back the Conductor was still not happy and told us the bags had to go under the seats. An absolute non starter - not enough room. The conductor grabbed my bag and we both thought he was about to throw it off the bus. A garbled scream from me and some unlady like actions would have resulted in him following my bag if he had tried! This got the whole bus looking at us!! Finally one bag half squeezed under seat, David, me and another bag squeezed onto two seats (and daysacks on laps) the conductor was happy! Ha I bet he was!

There followed a six hour very hot and uncomfortable journey, whereby several layers of skin have been left on the solid plastic seats after being launched off the seats every few miles. This is because the driver has a minimum speed of 50miles an hour, irrespective of roadworks, cows, speed humps or any other hazard on the road. However the scenery was stunning! We have travelled through banana plantations and paddi fields. We have seen tiny little hamlets made up of coco palms for houses. Very basic living and water extracted from wells. There is alot of new roads being built.

We got here collapsed into a rickshaw and found a hotel which was not easy as everywhere is either booked or really expensive. We ate out of necessity and not choice and managed to stay awake till 9.30pm. We are sharing a room with a gecko who let himself in with us and has yet to leave. We have named him Gary (boy we must have been delirious!). The delights of Pondy have yet to endear us but we are here until the first so there is time yet.

Watch this space!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb