David and Viv enter the Olympics


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Puducherry
June 29th 2008
Published: June 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had a day to kill before catching the overnight train. So we wandered back down to the Chinese nets and watched the fishing boats coming in. They stretched out to the horizon and beyond and came in, in a line. They range from all sizes of boats and colours and were magical to watch with the nets in the foreground. We visited St Francis Church where orignally Vasco da Gama was buried but then his remains moved back to Lisbon, however his tombstone remains. Santa Cruz Basillica is highly painted and coloured and has paintings on the ceiling depicting the cruxifiction. We had to leave our room at noon, so we spent the afternoon between the cafe and teapot sampling the delights of samosas and chocolate cake! Finally at 9.00pm we left for the train station where the Olympics started for us.

First event - Warm Up and Slalom. On getting rucksacks onto backs walk down the platform to the footbridge. Climb steps up, over and down whilst avoiding all adults and children

Second event - Distance and Time Trials. On getting down to platform, proceed down platform in search of your carriage. Walk the entire length to one end of the train to find carriage isn't there. Not content in completing only half the distance, now retrace your steps and walk the full length of the train (and no doubt the platform), to the other end of the train and locate correct carriage. All this has to be carried out in the ten remaining minutes before the train departs. No pressure then!

Third event - Leap of Faith. The aforementioned train and carriage sits invitingly approx three to four foot way from where you are standing. For the daredevils amongst us it maybe possible to get on with rucksacks still attached to backs. For everyone else here is the opportunity to remove all bags. The relay takes place with one person on platform and one person on train. The bags are then hauled over the divide.

Fourth event - Hide and Seek. On getting onto the train, you now have to locate your seat come bed. This means wandering down the carriage, peering in and out of all cabins until you have located your bunk. Once locating remove bags and stow away under seats before anyone else gets there!

Fifth event - High Altitude Climbing. On locating your bunk in The Gods of the carriage, one now has to climb up a non to sturdy few handholds over the two other bunks, before hauling yourself onto your solid lump of plastic for a bed (thank goodness I was wearing shorts!). On getting up and regaining your composure and breath, one can now make your bed. The position assumed is doubled up due to location in the gods, which adds extra points for technical difficulty.

Six and final event - Cool Down. Having made ones bed, you can assume the horizontal position to relax. More points are give for artistic merit of bed making using two sheets, a heavy blanket and a pillow. Further points being given for how far one can dangle your feet out of the bed before connecting with you fellow passengers heads (this being good practice for later when they are snoring too loud!). Finally don ear plugs, assume eyelid position to close and try to goto sleep amongst the various noises being emitted from fellow passengers. On waking in the morning - that's if you got any sleep - reverse the whole process!!

Please note that from event four all heats are carried out on a moving train!

Phew!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb