Back On The Road: Western Ghatts, India . . .


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Ooty
December 9th 2012
Published: December 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So after we finished our volunteering in the South it was time to get back on the road and head for the mountains. The first stop was Madurai for one night, we got up at 5 a.m to experience the temple there, which was a little haunting with the chants at that time in the morning but a great experience.

After Madurai we went to Kumily/Thekkady, which is a great place for treks and a wonder round a tiger reservation which we did in the afternoon. From Kumily we took the maddest bus journey I have ever exprienced to Munnar! we got onto the bus at 6 a.m with banging Indian music being played and flashing lights! it was a 6 hour bus journey through mountains, tea plantations and TIGHT corners as we wound our way up through the mountains, we still had white knuckles by the time we got to our hoemstay!

We took a moped and rode 60km up and down through the mountains of Munnar for the day to a hill station up in the clouds. The ride was brilliant and refreshing! we spent time walking round the tea plantations and stopping off at view points to take in the open mountain views.

We have been in Ooty for 5 days now, been out on a moped for the day and now just chilling and taking a break from the travelling (I know it must be such hard work!!! ;p ) we have spent a total of about 30 hours on buses in the last week or so up through the mountains at a cost of next to nothing and it has been the best way to see what the other side of India has to offer . . . Next we will be in Hampi, see ya then 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb