Christmas in Kolkata and New Years on the beach


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Mamallapuram
January 5th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Oberoi Grand in Kolkata: our Christmas location. It says in the guide book it is 'possibly the finest hotel in Kolkata' and, as we're getting no christmas pressies this year, it was funded by a generous donation from each of our parents. As there had been no lead up whatsoever to it being Christmas it was fantastic to step out of the hot and busy streets of Kolkata into the calm, air-contioned Oberoi, which was playing christmas carols, had a huge xmas tree and decorations. Over the past 2 months we've stayed in some pretty shabby accomodation, so it was a bit of a relief to be staying in a huge and luxurious room with a ton of freebies (we took the free stuff then had our room 'refreshed' several times and took the new ones), hot power shower and bath (could have done with that up North), air conditioning, huge comfy bed, fluffy slippers and dressing gowns, tv and dvd player with speakers that play into the bathroom, 3 phones (one by the toilet), and best of all filtered water running out the taps- so we could clean our teeth without using bottled water for the first time in 2 months! We stayed from christmas eve till boxing day and didnt leave the hotel! On christmas day we got room service breakfast, and opened our pressies from each other, swam in the outdoor pool, had a giant christmas buffet lunch, which was delicious- especially the chocolate mousse xmas log and chocolate santas, worked off lunch in the flashy gym (had individual TVs attached to all the exercise machines), had massages at the spa, relaxed in the steam room, and ended the day with phone calls home, room service pizza and watched the Santa Claus on TV. Felt very indulgent, but really rivitalised us for the next 2 months.

We spent a week after xmas in Puri, supposedly the Hamptons of Kolkata. Was nice to be back on the beach, drinking coconut milk and fresh fruit juice and swimming in the sea. New years eve was spent dancing to bhangra music on the beach and dodging fireworks (which have no regulations in India).

We're now in Southern India, so weather is boiling hot, staying in a little fishing village called Mamallapuram, though it's basically a travellers hangout. We're staying in a cheap family guest house with two americans, Neil and Ryan who are both really nice. Just popped into the internet cafe to seek shade as we spent whole morning on the beach and were both getting sun-burnt, to the amusement of Neal and Ryan who are both really tanned, and a group of Indian guys- though we gave them sun block and told them it would turn their skin as white as ours in 2 hours- they seemed to believe us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Breakfast in BedBreakfast in Bed
Breakfast in Bed

Well really just by our bed


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb