5 Fascinating Places to Visit in Kodaikanal


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Kodaikanal
June 9th 2017
Published: June 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kodaikanal or Kodai is a popular hill station located in the Western Ghats of Tamilnadu. Often referred as 'Princess of Hill Stations’, Kodai is one of the best hill stations in South India and also one of the top places to experience Tamilnadu Tourism. At an altitude of about 7000 feet on the southern tip of upper Palani hills, Kodai is blessed with picture vast plains,green blankets of gorgeous hills, glittering lakes and enchanting waterfalls.



This pristine hill station has several scenic natural attractions which are enjoyed by its visitors and make it a popular romantic destination. Kodaikanal is also home to the rare Kurunji Flowers which blooms just once in 12 years.Kodaikanal offers a pleasant experience to tourists with relatively less crowd when compared to other hill stations of Tamilnadu.



Here are some of the most famous tourist places in Kodaikanal:



Kodaikanal Lake



Kodai Lake or Kodaikanal Lake is an artificial, star-shaped lake situated in Kodaikanal town. It is the most famous landmark of Kodaikanal & often represented in promoting Kodaikanal Tourism. Spread over an area of 60 acres, the Kodai Lake was built in 1863 by Sir Vere Henry Levinge, then Collector of Madurai. The lake is located amidst the most calm and serene environment. There is a walk way around the lake and is one of the favourite places where tourist come for a casual walk and enjoys the beauty of the nature. Boating in the sparkling blue waters of Kodai Lake is one of the most popular things to do in Kodaikanal.



Coaker’s Walk



Coaker's Walk is a narrow pedestrian path situated close to Kodaikanal Lake in the town of Kodaikanal, Tamilnadu. Constructed by Lt.Coaker in 1872, Coaker's Walk is a 1 kilometer paved pedestrian path running in parallel to the Club Road along the edge of steep slopes on the southern side of Kodai. This is one of the most scenic & beautiful Kodaikanal tourist places and also one of the must visit places in Kodaikanal.



The kilometer long walk provides the most picturesque views of the hills, the valley of the Pambar River, Dolphin’s Nose, Maduraicity and Periyakulam town on a clear day. Evenings is the best time to visit the place when the mountainscover by mystic clouds. The walkway is very well maintained and it's great spot for photography.



Bryant Park



Bryant Park is botanical garden situated on the eastern side of the Kodai Lake. Spread over an area of 20 acres, the park was planned and built in 1908 by H.D.Bryant, and named after him. This is one of the biggest parks in Kodaikanal and also one of the best places to visit in Kodaikanal.



With 325 species of trees, shrubs and cactuses, the park is a rainbow of various flowers during the monsoon and winter season. A large section is dedicated to nearly 740 varieties of roses. There is a beautiful glass house and a small lake filled with water plants inside the park. The park also organizes horticultural exhibits and flower shows every summer, which attract large crowds.



Bear Shola Falls



Bear Shola Falls is a beautiful waterfall situated in the mesmerizing hill station of Kodaikanal.This is a seasonal waterfall that spouts rich, clear water from all sides during the monsoons. Its name is derived from the fact that bears used to come here to quench their thirst. This is one of best waterfalls in Kodaikanal and also one of the top places of sightseeing in Kodai. Cascading down from a height of 40 feet, the falls is nestled in the thick reserve forest and the walk through the forest itself is a wonderful experience.



Dolphin's Nose



Dolphin's Nose is flat rock projecting over a wide gorge which is approximately 6,600 feet deep. This rocky hill cliff provides a bird’s eye view of Kodaikanal and breathtaking Western Ghats. It is one of the most scenic places in Kodaikanal and also one of the frequently visited Kodaikanal tourist places . Resembling the shape of a Dolphin's Nose, it is also a popular trekking trail in Kodaikanal. One can also access the amazing Pambar Falls from here which is an amazing hidden attraction.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb