The Mountains, Pt II


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Kodai
February 5th 2007
Published: February 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After three weeks of Sadhana, we eventually had to move on. Originally our plan had been to go to Kanyakumari, the southern tip of India. However, everyone in Sadhana had been raving about a hill station called Kodai, and so we decided to go, especially as we could travel with Pawel and Sian, the couple from Brighton.
Thus, on the 4th of February, we bid a sad goodbye to all at Sadhana and went to Pondicherry to catch the overnight bus to Kodai. The trip was long and it was all but impossible to sleep, Chloe only managed it curled up in a ball like a cat.
It was worth it however. We arrived to a great youth hostel and a spectacular view across the clouds and down the mountainside.
We spent a relaxing few days in Kodai, eating organic food. The one exception to this peace was a rather unfortunate run in with our trekking guide. We also bumped into 3 ex-Sadhanis who were living in a house in nearby Vatta Kanal, a town almost exclusively inhabited by Israelis.
After a few days we decided to head to Munnar to see the tea plantations. We also planned to meet two more ex-Sadhanis, Lena and Camilla. Thus it was that we left Pawel and Sian and travelled to Munnar on an horrific 5 hour winding, hot and claustrophobic jeep ride on which we were both sick and felt terrible.
Upon arriving, we found a place to stay, in the friendliest homestay thus far, and went to the internet cafe, where we got an email saying to meet Lena and Camilla in 5 minutes by the "statue-thing". Fortunately, there was only one statue thing, especially as Lena and Camilla were half an hour late. They had been stranded in a random village before being rescued by 3 uber-rich yuppie Indians.
We dined and then breakfasted with Lena and Camilla, who were leaving the day after we arrived for Alleppey, they were always one step ahead of us.
After they left we went on the strangest tour ever, where a rickshaw took us up round all the tea plantations to view points, all colonised by Indian honeymooners, and stalls which all sold either food, or pink and purple monkeys.
After getting back, we then ran into Pawel and Sian, who were conversely always one step behind us. Most bizarre.
Unfortunately, due to the fact we have almost no time left in India, we had to move on and headed down to Alleppey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

And Finally...And Finally...
And Finally...

...Home-made chocolate, the cause of much sickness in Kodai and Munnar


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb