Chidambaram & Pichavaram


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Tamil Nadu » Chidambaram
September 22nd 2013
Published: September 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kovai-SalemKovai-SalemKovai-Salem

cloudy sky
Started our journey from Coimbatore in the morning after breakfast from the hotel where we stayed overnight. It was around 160 km to Salem andfrom there 180 km to Chidambaram. The sky was cloudy as it was raining the day before in Kerala. In September mid the rainfall was not unusual in TN also.




Mid way we found a nice veg cafe at Avinashi on the highway side. We had some tea and snacks there and continued our travel. The sky was clear then, which also en-lighted our enthusiasm!



We reached Chidambaram by 2.00 pm and proceeded to Hotel Shardaram for checkin. It’s a decent hotel near town bus station and you will get a good AC double room in the range 1500/- bucks. Had our lunch at their restaurant on the ground floor.



Without sparing much time we moved to Pichavaram, a tourist spot situated 20km away from Chidambaram towards the coastal area. (toll Rs.50/-). It is said to be Asia’s largest mangrove forest. You can enjoy boating amongst mangrove trees here. There is a watch tower (entrance fee Rs.5/-) and a small park.



There was ample space for car parking. Shardaram group has another accommodation here.



Opposite to the boat jetty the calm tiny park attracts one’s attention. We spent some moments there. The sunshine was not intense, though it was only 4’ O clock in the evening.



One curious thing - we found crows bigger than normal size on the coconut trees around the park.



It was good time for boating. For a one hour ride on a row boat for two it costs Rs.150/- (the rower will be there). Speed boats are also available. The boat will take you to the inner parts of the mangrove forest.



One can see the thick and large mangrove trees very near but as told by the boatman not possible to get inside the same, though you can ride around.



It was an interesting trip and we returned the starting point exactly after one hour. A nice place not much exposed to the tourists. If you wish an early day ride you can stay over here also in the various resorts.



We came back to hotel and in the evening
Watch tower - PichavaramWatch tower - PichavaramWatch tower - Pichavaram

View from boating point
visited the famous Nataraja Temple.It is believed that the location of this temple is the center point of world’s magnetic equator. Muruka and Ganesha are on both sides of the entrance. The huge stone pillars depicted the art work and sculptures of the Chola Dynasty. Lord Siva is in the pose as performing Ananda Thandava (Nataraja) and left to the idol he is believed to be in continuous dance with his consort deity Sivakami Amman. A curtain covers this space which is known as Chidambara Rahasya, parting the curtain during rituals represents removal of ignorance by revealing Lord’s presence.



After twilight the keerthanas spread around which made the atmosphere more pious and devine. Lots of devotees sat in silence on the outside stone floors of the temple along all the four sides. The four gopuras stood shining as if enjoying the mantras. Here goes all your tensions! After spending one hour time there we returned.



Next day morning we once again visited the Chidambaranathan. There is a devi (Thillai Kali) temple also on the north side.



Opposite to the shrine of Shivakami, situates the Sivaganga tank.


Boating place - PichavaramBoating place - PichavaramBoating place - Pichavaram

View from Watch tower

Newt we proceeded our journey to Vaitheeswaran Koil, 26 km from Chidambaram on Tanjavoor route via Mayiladuthurai. This is not a highway, but good road. The temple is situated on the road side.



Vaitheeswaran is also Lord Siva known as God of Healing, devotees believe that prayer to him can cure all diseases. Here one of the Navagrahas, Mars (Chovva or Kujan) is also worshiped. The Vel Muruka shrine is also here. The place is also known for ancient Nadi Jyothisha.



The temple has five storied gopura. The temple tree is margosa which possesses medicinal properties and is located in the eastern gateway.



It is believed that Rama and Lakshmana worshiped the deity here. The pond in the temple is called Jadayu Kundam, it is also believed that Jadayu has been cremated here.



After the visit we further proceeded to our next destination, Trichy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Parking place - PichavaramParking place - Pichavaram
Parking place - Pichavaram

View from Watch tower
Park -PichavaramPark -Pichavaram
Park -Pichavaram

shade for resting
Crow - pichavaramCrow - pichavaram
Crow - pichavaram

Note the size of crow
mangrove forestmangrove forest
mangrove forest

View from row-boat
SivagangaSivaganga
Sivaganga

Temple pond
Inside viewInside view
Inside view

Temple tree inside


30th December 2015

Interesting Article
Nice article, It is quite amazing to know that the Chidambaram Temple has many unknown and interesting facts. Read this interesting article that enlights on the those interesting facts of the Chidambaram Temple. http://www.ishtadevata.com/blog/thillai-nataraja-temple-shiva-vishnu-reside-together.html
31st December 2015

Thanks for posting..will go thru the blog & revert

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb